Reaming questions.

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey everyone, I hope you are all enjoying your Sunday. I had planned on spending the day in the shop completing my fourth attempt at the draw bar but the power is out with an ice storm so I decided to organize taps, dies and reamers.

I’ve come across a little tube of what look to be 5 sided reamers, or at least that’s what I think they are. There are no markings and they all measure around .100 to about .120.

sorry for the lighting but with the power out it’s by flashlight. They measure about 5 1/2 inches long and the tapered reaming portion seems to be 3 1/2 inches in length. Some information on use, care and how to measure them correctly would be appreciated. Or any info you can throw at me is appreciated. Thanks everybody.

Derek

4bace243fe91222ab5c1a6f2c5f7da75.jpg
06fbfca8a4c5ce6feb32c61f97130a68.jpg
bc6478d5acf712878a3e12ab134157f3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, I hope you are all enjoying your Sunday. I had planned on spending the day in the shop completing my fourth attempt at the draw bar but the power is out with an ice storm so I decided to organize taps, dies and reamers.

I’ve come across a little tube of what look to be 5 sided reamers, or at least that’s what I think they are. There are no markings and they all measure around .100 to about .120.

sorry for the lighting but with the power out it’s by flashlight. They measure about 5 1/2 inches long and the tapered reaming portion seems to be 3 1/2 inches in length. Some information on use, care and how to measure them correctly would be appreciated. Or any info you can throw at me is appreciated. Thanks everybody.

Derek

4bace243fe91222ab5c1a6f2c5f7da75.jpg
06fbfca8a4c5ce6feb32c61f97130a68.jpg
bc6478d5acf712878a3e12ab134157f3.jpg

Are they scored like a fine file? As you say, the lighting makes it hard to see. Could be micro files?

They aren't configured as reamers, look like files.

If they are smooth, they are clockmaker's broaches, a type of reamer.

They are smooth. There is one buried in the lot that is a round file. The remainder are smooth sided, tapered from tip to middle, and at the middle the diameter varies, from each individual tool. They are all five sided.

They are smooth. There is one buried in the lot that is a round file. The remainder are smooth sided, tapered from tip to middle, and at the middle the diameter varies, from each individual tool. They are all five sided.

Yes, they are clockmaker's broaches, I used to have some, sold them on e bay, I think.

Yes the five sided ones are clockmakers reamers. They are used to slightly open up the id of newly placed bushings. Then the round tapered one is called a smoothing broach and is used to smooth out the inside of the bushing that has just been opened up.

David

Thanks guys! I love this forum.... hopefully one day I can pay this information forward. Best regards. Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning(?), Sir;
As noted above, the technical term is "jeweler's broaches". I, as a model builder(H-O Trains), have a couple of sets going down below taper pin reamers. 5/0 I think is my smallest size reamer, then followed by the jeweler's broaches. The smallest -straight- reamer I could find is a ~1/16 inch and it doesn't look like much. Working that small, I prefer the tapered reamers / broaches. The smallest broach I have is some 0.020 thou, 1/2 millimeter(?), a bit smaller than what you have. They work well for steering the piano wire contraptions that I build from sheet brass. Among other things. They probably are highly regarded amongst model airplane builders, as well.

I just found a little jar with some of the broaches you’re talking about. I could only tell that they were broaches when I looked at them under a magnifying glass along with my “Optivisor”. I have no idea where I have acquired them or what I’ll use them for. Found a bunch of drill bits too, #24 through #79....... ridiculous!

Off to YouTube to see if I can learn how jewellers broaches actually work. I have a Minuteman broaching Set, and it is awesome to use, but I don’t see how the jewellers broaches work in comparison.

Cheers.

Back