Reaming questions.

In the scale I build, 1 inch equals 0.011482. I purchase the cheap wire brushes at Horrible Fright, the ones with the thin wire bristles at 0.015~ inch. The bristles are a little oversize but for 3/4" rod are doable. I punch holes in wood with a sewing needle. Then, the wire is bent to shape and dipped in salt water. Once the wire is set in place and the salt dries, it forms a corrosion on the surface that holds it in place. Depending on the application, I may back it up with ACC glue. But for static models, the wire stays in place on its' own.

A #60 drill is 0.040", a millimeter plus a little. A #80 drill is 0.0135", a fuzz over my scale inch. The small set, #61-80, is rarely seen outside of jewelers and model builders. Best hang on to them, you never know if/when you'll need one.

In the scale I build, 1 inch equals 0.011482. I purchase the cheap wire brushes at Horrible Fright, the ones with the thin wire bristles at 0.015~ inch. The bristles are a little oversize but for 3/4" rod are doable. I punch holes in wood with a sewing needle. Then, the wire is bent to shape and dipped in salt water. Once the wire is set in place and the salt dries, it forms a corrosion on the surface that holds it in place. Depending on the application, I may back it up with ACC glue. But for static models, the wire stays in place on its' own.

A #60 drill is 0.040", a millimeter plus a little. A #80 drill is 0.0135", a fuzz over my scale inch. The small set, #61-80, is rarely seen outside of jewelers and model builders. Best hang on to them, you never know if/when you'll need one.

Wow! How in the world would you sharpen one?!?!

Jewelry supply houses have tubes of 10 or a dozen of each size. The really little guys break really easily. I'm also a scale modeler; breaking those bits is a fact of life.
Tim

Back