Rear mounting a parting tool ... if you can

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
I am moving this discussion on rear mounting a parting tool to this thread rather than continue to hijack another one.

In this thread, I noticed that @NC Rick had t-slots running the length of his cross slide and suggested to him that he consider making a rear mounted parting tool. For those of us with small lathes, I feel that rear mounting a parting tool is one of the best mods you can make if you have a t-slotted cross slide or can otherwise find a way to mount one.

To answer Rick's question about how the tool is mounted, yes, it is mounted upside down and the lathe is turning in the normal direction.

Here is an article I wrote about my original parting tool post made for my Sherline lathe. It shows the original prototype that frankly never got improved because it worked so well that I never bothered to make a prettier one for myself. The great benefit to mounting a parting tool this way is that it significantly improves the rigidity of the tool, so much so that even a light lathe like a Sherline can part stuff at high speeds without a hint of chatter. As for materials, if the lathe can turn it, this tool will part it off without any issues.

In addition to the benefits of rear mounting parting tools in the article, my continued experience with this tool has taught me that:
  • The overhang or extension of the parting blade is NOT critical when it is rear mounted. No kidding; I just slap the tool into the tool post and go.
  • Higher speeds make feeding easier to do by feel, thus avoiding chatter caused by improper feeds. To be honest, I don't even pay much attention to the speeds I am parting at; I just feed to suit whatever speed the lathe happens to be set at and the part comes off without a hitch. I often part up to 2-3 times normal turning speeds because the faster I go, the lower the feed forces are and this makes it much easier to feed smoothly. I honestly cannot remember the last time this tool chattered.
  • A thinner parting blade is better than a thicker one because it is a form tool and a thinner form tool creates much lower cutting forces. A thinner tool that cuts with lower forces is also more accurate; my HSS P1-N blade (0.040" wide) will part off a washer in the 0.010" thick range. I've also found that a P1-N blade that is normally only used on part diameters up to 3/4" OD can part double that or more when mounted upside down in the rear, and it will part more accurately than wider blades.
  • Parting tools stay sharp longer, at least for me. My parting tool gets honed maybe once or twice a year and I use it often. I might regrind the tool every five years or so. I believe this is because the tool cuts; it does not rub so wear is kept to a minimum. My current blade is about 25 years old and has maybe been reground 3-4 times, I forget.
Using this tool is very fast. I can mount the tool post on the lathe, mount the parting tool in the post and start parting in under 10 seconds. The tool is automatically aligned with the work, extension of the tool is not critical, parting speed is not critical and feeding is easy. All I need to do is apply cutting oil and make sure I'm in the right place. Yeah, it's that simple. And I have done this thousands of times.

If you have a cross slide that allows for rear mounting your parting tool, please consider making one. It is far, far better than a hacksaw or bandsaw and I assure you that you will not regret it.

And for you Sherline owners, keep in mind that the spindle centerline height on every lathe is different. It has been my experience that the tip of your parting tool must be on the exact centerline of your lathe so buying one from Sherline might work, might not. Production tolerances being what they are, I would suggest you measure your center height and make your own parting tool post to suit your lathe. Of all the mods a Sherline owner can do, this is one of the most important.

I have the t-slots all the way across my cross slide. Somehow this dropped off the todo list but it’s back on top now.
thanks Mikey.

My Myford has T slots and I've often considered this. You've convinced me I should get on and do it.

I have the t-slots all the way across my cross slide. Somehow this dropped off the todo list but it’s back on top now.
thanks Mikey.
My Myford has T slots and I've often considered this. You've convinced me I should get on and do it.

Yeah, my Emco lathe needs one, too. I just need to find the time to get it done. If my lathe didn't part so well from the front it would have already been done. If you make one, let us know how it turns out.

I forgot to mention that I used 6061-T 6 for my Sherline tool post. Much is made about using steel for this sort of application and I suppose materials should be considered. Aluminum has a third the elastic strength of steel so if movement is something you're worried about then use steel or cast iron. My little aluminum tool post has parted 1144, 4140, mild steels, 303/ 304/ 316 SS, aluminum, brass, delrin and wood and maybe other stuff I can't think of right off the top of my head; it has never had any issues whatsoever with any material I've parted. For my Emco Super 11 rear tool post, I will use aluminum because it has proven to be more than strong enough in this application. I will use 6061-T6 rather than 7075 because I feel the ductility of 6061 will make it less likely to crack over time.

My Sherline tool post is now over 20-25 years old, I forget, but it shows no signs of ANY wear or cracking. It just keeps working exactly the way it did when I made it. I am pretty sure I can make it prettier but I'm not sure I can make it better.

Yeah, my Emco lathe needs one, too. I just need to find the time to get it done. If my lathe didn't part so well from the front it would have already been done. If you make one, let us know how it turns out.
Will do. It's a sturdy little machine, but parting has never been a strong point. I have a feeling this may be the answer.

The blade itself has 7degrees of relief under the cutting edge. When mounted upside down, this amounts to 7 degrees of back rake, and back rake on a parting tool provides the same benefits that side rake on a turning tool does - it greatly reduces cutting forces.

Once again Mike , your informative write ups are priceless to the members on this site . I hope they realize the efforts you put forth on them . :encourage:

The blade itself has 7degrees of relief under the cutting edge. When mounted upside down, this amounts to 7 degrees of back rake, and back rake on a parting tool provides the same benefits that side rake on a turning tool does - it greatly reduces cutting forces.
My point, exactly!

Back