Received my PM949 and PM1340GT!!!

Thanks Chevy,
I think Bestline claims to be the distributor. But if you look at Firestopper's thread on his new 1640 he bought from Acra, Paco posted a photo of Acra's warehouse. In that photo you see they have a load of Aligns on the shelf. In addition, as you mentioned, Eisen sells them too at an attractive price.

BTW, I spoke with the owner of Penntool and traded a few emails with him. He confirmed that he gets his via Bestline.

I have been a bit confused as to why Bestline is rebadging Aligns and tried to find out why but gave up since it was low stakes to me. Perhaps it is an arrangement with Align, who knows? Meanwhile I also became doubtful that Bestline really has the exclusive distributorship in the US. I suspect if you can do a large enough volume, Align will sell direct to you. I see evidence that Eisen and Acra are examples. Was your Penntool order shipped to you from Bestline?

So enough speculation, what is important is that the Aligns are top shelf. Their turndown on the speed control is vastly superior to the Chinese made ALSGS units. The ALSGS units are widely rebadged and their business model must be premised on this method of distribution. The ALSGS units are okay but they are not equal to the Aligns. I now have one of each since I actually now have an Align on the Z of my PM935. I am now evaluating replacing the the X I have with an Align. The PM935 and PM939 are fine machines and deserve the best!

So congrats on the great equipment and thanks for the detailed background on the powerfeeds.

Alan, That's quite an interesting insight to the Align distribution. I can't remember if the Penntool order was shipped directly from Bestline as that was some time ago. I think you would really like the Align unit on the X. I have nothing to compare them with but the speed control on the Align allows a nice fine speed control.

Very nicely done, I just ordered the same mill and am learning from what you are doing. Thanks for posting.

You are really going to enjoy that machine!

Nice toys!... err - I mean tools!
Very nice install work, especially like the legend plate and your idea of nail polish on the graduations, I'm borrowing that idea tomorrow!

Just really read your thread in detail today - VERY nicely done. I have a 935 on order but am really thinking that despite the obvious hassle of the extra 1000lbs the 949 would be a better choice. I noticed in your pic of the power supply it seems like only two cables come in and out of the box - what did I miss, 220/240 single phase into switch, 220/240 3 phase out to motor and at least on cable with control inputs from the panel on the mill and 110 out to DRO etc. I'm getting a VFD from Matt to control the mill so plan to build a system very similar to yours.
How has the location of your machine mounted controls worked out - any issue with swarf/lube etc on the controls? I have a 1340 like yours with Mark's very slick control circuitry and love the set up. I am basically a complete newby so please be patient if the questions seem a bit simplistic.

Hey Kamloopsendo,

Ask all the questions you want.

VFD cables going from back right to top left:

220v single phase in from line
120v to 15amp power strip. This provides power to the powerfeeds as well as the DRO
220 3Phase out to motor
Control wiring bundle from control switch box, E-Stop and power to LED light and Tachometer.

41008130581_5889e82db7_b.jpg

Also took a pic of the dro scale installation on the lathe cross slide.

41008140981_7f7a2c5d66_b.jpg

40966499872_78d6aa2d86_b.jpg

This is how I routed my cables to keep them out of the oil and chips.

40115352035_69cd141127_b.jpg

I myself went back and forth between the PM935 and the PM949. For me these machines would most likely stay with me for the rest of my life so I decided to bite the bullet and get the biggest that I could afford. I have no regrets with going with the 949. She was a beast to put into place but I
love every minute working with her.

This is the milI I've been using for the last 5 years (Taig CNC):
40966299722_5bb0afe617_b.jpg

Every part that I made for the 949 shown in this thread was made on her, including the engraving of the switch plates. She being setup here in her new place opposite the 949 and most likely would continue making chips there unless I get a big enough demand for CNC'd parts that are outside of her work envelope. Then I would have to consider replacing her with something bigger.

With regards to the placement of the control box on the mill. I'm happy as to its position. It is very comfortable for me to use. Chips do get on it when I use my 2.5" shell mills (but those make a mess everywhere). So when I use those I just put a paper towel over the control box to keep the chips off.

The next couple projects I'm currently working on right now is :

1. An outboard spider and tachometer sensor mount for the lathe. I'm using Allan's drawings for the spider (Thanks for sharing these Allan).
2. DRO installation for the mill
3. Lubrication system for the lathe QCGB.

I'll share some pics of those as I make progress.

Chevy

One of these days I need a legend plate made for my 1340.

And I look forward to your lube system for the Norton gearbox. This is something I need to do as well. Carry on Sir. :)

Last edited:
Hey Kamloopsendo,

120v to 15amp power strip. This provides power to the powerfeeds as well as the DRO
220 3Phase out to motor
Control wiring bundle from control switch box, E-Stop and power to LED light and Tachometer.

I myself went back and forth between the PM935 and the PM949. For me these machines would most likely stay with me for the rest of my life so I decided to bite the bullet and get the biggest that I could afford. I have no regrets with going with the 949. She was a beast to put into place but I

Every part that I made for the 949 shown in this thread was made on her, including the engraving of the switch plates. She being setup here in her new place opposite the 949 and most likely would continue making chips there unless I get a big enough demand for CNC'd parts that are outside of her work envelope. Then I would have to consider replacing her with something bigger.

With regards to the placement of the control box on the mill. I'm happy as to its position. It is very comfortable for me to use. Chips do get on it when I use my 2.5" shell mills (but those make a mess everywhere). So when I use those I just put a paper towel over the control box to keep the chips off.

1. An outboard spider and tachometer sensor mount for the lathe. I'm using Allan's drawings for the spider (Thanks for sharing these Allan).

Chevy
Thanks Chevy, There are wires in todays pic I didn't see in last September's the work you've performed does indeed look VERY nicely done. I will undoubtedly have questions when reality hits and the unit arrives (Mid May maybe?).
Alex

Hey Kamloopsendo,

220 3Phase out to motor

Chevy
Chevy: Couple of questions - first is how heavy was that head unit that has to be lifted into place. I have only a 10' ceiling so the fork truck won't do it. did you custom build a frame to get it in place?

2nd is I assume besides powering your coolant pump relay and the 12V P. supply for the tach that the 24V power supply provides lighting power. Looks like a ring light that you had installed - if so does it work well for you, I have old eyes that need LOTS of light I even thought about two of those articulated lights such as came with my 1340GT lathe but not sure that 120 watt MW unit would handle it.

Thanks again
Alex

Hey Alex,

Are you talking about putting the mill in place? I also have a 10' ceiling so a forklift was out of the question for me as well. We used a pallet jack to move it into position. Once it was roughly in its final location we used two engine cranes to get it off the pallet. It was a big of a struggle to get it of the pallet and I was pretty stressed so I don't remember exactly how we positioned everything LOL. If I ever have to do it again I would build a gantry to lift it.

You are spot on about the 12v and 24v power supplies. The ring light works very well, especially for looking at your scribe lines.

Chevy

Chevy, it appears the mill is broken down for shipping so I wondered about the challenge of lifting what I presumed to be the head ( motor / drive / spindle assembly) into place. I had hoped to be able to use a pallet jack as well although I can get a fork truck with a low mast height in the shop if I have to. I was wondering about getting it off the pallet, gantry might be the best (spelled safest) way but I've no use for one later in the shop .

I'm also thinking of installling a wall mounted light crane wirh a trolley (max lift 150# @ 4 foot radius) as it would service both the lathe and mill when I want to move heavy stuff such as chucks, vises, rotary table, dividing head, whatever but too light to help with mill install.

Where did you get the ring light from - looks kike a GREAT idea. I'm thinking of using a simple mist system such as Kool Mist which requires no power (compressed air of which I have lots) as reviews seem favourable and it should be less messy (I hope).. Gantry should be easy to build and I guess I could later use the steel for something else.

Thanks for the responses, hope the Easter Bunny is Generous down there!

Alex

Alex,

As far as I know these mills are not broken down for shipping. They are shipped fully assembled with the head turned 180*, i.e. spindle pointing upwards and motor towards the table. I also think that a gantry is one of the safest/easiest ways to get I of the pallet. However the majority of 935 owners on this forum have been able to lift theirs of the pallet with a single engine hoist.

The wall mounted crane is a great idea. I could manage with the lathe chucks but my 10" rotary table takes a crane (engine hoist) to put in place.

That particular ring LED was sent for me by Mark (mksj) on this forum. The mount its on also houses a hall effect sensor for the tachometer. This part was made by Mark. You can see the details in post #33 of this thread. However ebay is a great source for LED ring lights and there are quite a bit of aftermarket kits made specifically for mounting on the spindle of a mill.

On my CNC mill I use the FogBuster system and it works great at both clearing chips and making a huge mess but I guess you can't have it both ways LOL. I haven't had the need to use coolant on the 949 as yet, when I do it would most likely be another FogBuster system.

Have a great Easter!

Chevy

Back