Recieved the PM1236 metric to imperial kit today

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. I hate to say it but not caring is not just related to postal workers or freight delivery for that matter. It's funny because flip the tables and people would be livid. I gave a talk to my mechanics at work a few months ago asking them why they think we are still in business and doing well?

Most didn't respond because as long as they are getting their paychecks they really don't care why or how. I explained that it is because of customer service and the customer is WHO matters, they are the ones keeping the lights on and money going into their pockets. They can get what we offer anywhere, they come to us because of the customer service. If that customer's wants, needs or desires change, we need to change as well. Most looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

I then asked a couple of them about products that I knew that they had recently purchased related to their hobbies, guns. I asked them if they walked into their supplier and they didn't carry the supplies you needed for your "new" gun would you still shop there? They obviously responded in "hell no".

Exactly, I told them. So you can't have it one way as a consumer and then expect to come to work and not care about the customer while performing your job, or have it the other way. I think it at least made them think a little, don't know for how long.

I think as a society we have become lazy and self centered and care less and less about doing quality work and taking pride in our work. I am not reflecting to all, I don't want to ruffle any feathers as there are still many who DO take pride and will go the extra little bit, but in "general" as a society people seem to care about what affects them personally but not so much in their day to day jobs or duties as they are just there for a paycheck.

I thoroughly agree! Well written BTW!
IMO in the case of the missing wrench... I have little doubt it went home with someone at the USPS... but that is another thread.

IMO there is a flip side to this...

There ARE folks out there who make and have made a TON of $$$.... and want to spend it on their hobbies.
They will seek out folks (like you and me) who listen, respond, and deliver what they want. If we live in a world full of folks who are 'coasting'... it is easier to be the one who is outstanding in the services they provide... In other words: One can be as busy as they want to be... if they have the initiative to do so... :)
IMO this simple attitude is the heart of a successful small business... and anyone can STILL do it in America. All they have to do is look at themselves with an objective eye, and get busy... :)

Well in the context of this board and machining in general, I care what ya say Mike. :))

Bill

Thanks Bill. When I start "rambling" on to my wife I will tell her that someone out there cares what I have to say. That should stop her in her tracks and seal the deal.:thanks:

The sad thing is... it seems not many folks understand. It is just not 'correct' (whatever that is), to not be lazy and self absorbed. For the life of me, I just do not understand... I guess peer pressure rules many folks lives... Shame.

BTW: I do not have a facebook page either... albeit I do have a membership. The ONLY reason is... there are a few pages I need to visit for information concerning my business.
I think it is kinda like a bunch of middle-school girls (no offense meant to anyone; referencing childish behavior that IMO should be outgrown) to spend all one's time ooogling at pictures and stories online.
Having said that... at one of the trade forums I frequent (heating, AC, refrigeration), we have a political section... I 'waste' too much time there... :LOL:
(Probably good there is NO politics here... I would waste more time there... :( )

a1549b8621e83854cda79881ca75a953627840db5ab3cf8c2bd2caa29bac5e7c.jpg

heh heh

a1549b8621e83854cda79881ca75a953627840db5ab3cf8c2bd2caa29bac5e7c.jpg

I just got mine today, but I didn't get a chance to really look at it that well, since I was on my way out the door to go to work. Morgan, would you mind taking a picture of everything that was included in your package? One of the end caps was busted out of mine as well, but it seems like all the small stuff was located at the other end, intact. Just want to verify I got everything.

Are there any instructions out yet? Or were there supposed to be some inside the package?

I just got mine today, but I didn't get a chance to really look at it that well, since I was on my way out the door to go to work. Morgan, would you mind taking a picture of everything that was included in your package? One of the end caps was busted out of mine as well, but it seems like all the small stuff was located at the other end, intact. Just want to verify I got everything.

Are there any instructions out yet? Or were there supposed to be some inside the package?

It would be great if you could photograph and do a written installation here on the forum as well. Maybe that would benefit people who either have to exchange their components or just have to do a repair and/or disassembly.

Here are some pics of the parts that I received, as requested. There were no instructions included, but most of it looks pretty straightforward (at least it seems that way looking at the parts diagrams of the machine). I am wondering what the best way to replace the lead screw and half nut is. I would rather not take the apron off if I dont have to.

I think RayC said he would post up some instructions and that it was not difficult and only took about a half hour or so. Speaking of RayC, he cut his fingers really badly on the underside of his cross slide when he was removing it a while back. Good leather gloves would probably be a good idea when removing the slides to get at the screws.

If I get a chance to do it soon, I will be more than happy to document my switch over and post up some pics and a writeup..though I have been so busy with stinkin homework lately that I have not had any time to play with my machine. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend, but I can't make any promises, much as I wish I could.:whiteflag:

DSC08732 Labled - Copy.jpg
DSC08728 - Copy.jpg
DSC08729 - Copy.jpg
DSC08730 - Copy.jpg
DSC08731 - Copy.jpg

DSC08732 Labled - Copy.jpg DSC08728 - Copy.jpg DSC08729 - Copy.jpg DSC08730 - Copy.jpg DSC08731 - Copy.jpg

Pictures look great and I am sure it would be beneficial to someone if you could/would post up a step by step or procedure on the forum.

As far as Ray cutting his finger, if memory serves it wasn't just due to working around sharp edges/corners/machined corners, it was the fact that he set the carriage/apron on a stool and bumped the stool and the carriage started to fall, he then grabbed for it rather than let it crash to the ground. That is when it cut his finger but I could be mistaken, that just seems to stick in my head.

There are certain tasks/jobs that wearing a good quality leather glove can be beneficial. Other tasks or times not so much. I think lifting a heavy cast steel part off of the bed of a lathe is one where they would be.

I received mine yesterday as well. I just finished replacing the cross slide, compound, and tail stock. Note that in the picture above, the label on the tailstock and compound are flipped. its obvious which is which as you take the thing apart. Next I'm tackling the lead screw. this will be fun with no instructions -- but the manual has pretty decent diagrams to go by. should be straight forward.

Couple of things to be aware of:

Its a little tricky re-installing the compound, to get the screw at the right hight and angle -- if its off by even a little bit, the slide will move very hard and not smooth.
also -- you'll need to drill a dimple into the shaft of the cross slide screw so that the feed gear set screw will recess into. make sure its in the same relative location as the metric screw that is removed and it should be no problem.
Also -- the nut for the tail stock screw was not drilled with holes for the three retaining screws which attach the screw to the tail stock itself. so those need to be drilled.

since I've never replaced a lead screw before, can someone tell me if the saddle/carriage needs to be removed in order to replace it and the half nut? I'm assuming that its not just going to "slide out"

Thanks to Matt for getting these shipped out.

-Tom

Morgan, glad you got your conversion for your lathe. I am almost finished with my shop, so I will be expecting a visit from you in the near future. Get that thing installed and let's see some projects!! :))

I'm glad that you recieved all the parts to your kit. I didn't. I'm missing the half nut and the dials for the compound and the tailstock. Nicole tells me that they found one of the dials which she say has shipped, but they don't have the half nut. It looks like I will be waiting for part from China. My parts were shipped in a wood box wih cardboard ends. I didn't think about pieces being lost in shipment until I read ricsmall's comments in this thread. The ends of my box were tapped closed so I thought that was the way Matt shipped them.

Back