Recommend Me A Drill Press Vise

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
I'm about to go nuts trying to decide on what type of vise I need for my 1939 Delta DP220.

I'm currently going to machine shop class. So that's making me think I can set up my drill press as a mill. Well I know I can't. But my sub concise won't let me stop trying,,,lol.

Truthfully, I very rarely use a drill press. But when I need it, I need it. I do drill and tap holes occasionally.

The biggest hold back is money. I'm basically poor. Old guy on disability,,,,lol. So I'm wishing I can get a good vise for $50. Something like an old Palmgren. But I read on one machinist forum those were junk. Well maybe compared to a Kurt they are. Question is are they good enough for a hobby-machinst.

Then I'd like to have a cross slide vise. Or maybe a milling table. I think I need the x,y axis. The insanity just keeps going,,,lol.

I did see a guy on youtube that had a neat idea. He used some angle iron to hold down his vise and it slid in the y axis. Very cool I thought.

I thought I could do something like that with a vise like his. Or a small Palmgren that didn't have mounting ears. I do have a work hold down clamp the goes around the column, the has an arm that reaches out and holds down the work piece.

What's your guys opinions on the old, smaller Palmgrens. I would like a USA made vise.

Or I could be talked into something else as long as was cheap and good. Which I realize don't usually go together,,,lol.

What have you guys done. Pics would be great.

Don't use your drill press as a mill. It wasn't designed for milling. Your results will suck.
Randy

+1 on the don't use as a mill. DO like me, I just found a old Vise at an auction and cleaning it up to use with my drill press. My drill press is not old and fancy. It is a cheapy, with a cast table with slots.
yes the old Vise does need some cleaning and the last owner was not to good to it, but for a few bucks it works better than nothing.

The spindles and chucks on a DP are not designed to hold for horizontal forces.
The angle iron idea is cool, and very appropriate for some projects. But, it really depends on tolerances.
I've used a single fence before on the DP when I had a series of holes to drill. I may have been many several .001 off. Depending on the project that's not a problem.
For other projects, some members here have very accurate mills and jig bores that consistently hold .0001 or better.

Even with an XY table there may be considerable error, similarly a DP vise will likely have error in not clamping parrallel. Nothing wrong with Palmgren or the HF / NT options. Really all depends on what you are trying to do and how accurate and precise you want / need to be.

I'm pleased that you scored a 1939 Delta DP. ;)!

Daryl
MN

Guys. Don't worry. I'm not going to use it as a mill.

Here's what it looked like when I got it. It's all tore apart now. I'm building a slow speed pulley system for it. Still trying to decide weather to use a vfd with the original 3 phase motor. Or just swap in a single phase.

See. Again my sub concision is telling me I'm building a mill,,,,lol. I'm not. I swear,,,lol.

IMG_0834.jpg IMG_4070.jpg 20160205_162836[1].jpg

Last edited:
I have this vise on my drill press. With a little tweaking it is fine for a "Drill Press" Not so much for milling..

I absolutely love my cam action drill press vise. It is super quick to use, light enough that it can float when needed, has ears for bolting, and the jaws have a built in step that functions like a parallel. It is not a super precision tool, but I use it over my angle vise 20:1 at least. I have an assortment of other vises, but they don't get nearly as much use.

Back