Recommend Me A Drill Press Vise

Keep your eyes out for used older Palmgren or Stanley.

I posted this is the wrong forum. I got this Craftsman tilt vise many years ago and find it handy for the small stuff that I do.

milling angle vise.jpg

I've got mill vice that came with my mill and an old sine vice from a flea market for $20 and an inexpensive 6"vice for my drill press. All can be used on either piece of equipment.

At the same flea market the tool guy has a old cross slide vice I keep looking at. I wouldn't use it on a drill press, I just like and appreciate old tooling. It's a sickness.....:rolleyes:

Drill vises are for the most part lighter then metal cutting ones. I had a 4" metal holding vice I liked for personal use. I would clamp a piece 1/4"x 2" x 2" angle iron about 1" behind the vise as a safety rail just in case the drill grabbed.

I appreciate the video, I was hoping he had a parts list or exploded diagram.

I keep buying up those $20 Irwin vises. I have one at each of my 4 drill presses and keep one on the welding table. They are not great but can't beat the price.

I would strongly recommend a good quality angle vise. It will open up a whole world of drilling possibilities for you. Also, if your drill table angle can be changed, you will have compound angle capabilities.

View attachment 122331

I use one something like that, it looks like a model palmgren makes but was made in Japan. It was $12 used with some new secondhand files. There is tons of quality stuff floating around at yard sales flea markets and thrift stores. I try to check those places out before i buy a new low grade import alternative.

I have a used hft x-y drilling vise that was $20 used ( overpaid) it just sits in a drawer. It never fails to have a loose screw or something wobbly. It works but doesnt compare to the old palmgren clone.

Check craigslist too, there is a 5inch milling vise in my area that just wont sell $55. People will snatch up usa bench vises like there is no tomorrow but anything with the word milling in the description is near unsellable. Maybe its just a regional thing but it might be worth a shot

Back