Recommendationon on ER25 MT2 collet chuck

Don't feel bad ... I missed it in the title, too. Being an Emco fan, I just happened to know the FB2 has an MT2 spindle.

I have the Shar's R8 ER32 and MT3 ER40 in their nickle plate versions, their R8 has a TIR of less than 0.0002" in my mill, my mill spindle runout is pretty much unmeasurable, but I do not see this type in the MT2 ER25. Still I find their specs to be pretty good. I think you will be more limited by the mill vs. the chuck.

Might also check this one out which claims a 0.0001" TIR spec.

Collets will probably make a bigger difference in the TIR than the chuck itself. The generic Chinese ER collets tend to be pretty terrible as far as workmanship and TIR. techniks collets are quite good but a bit pricey, I have a few of their ER-32 and they are dead on.
Zlive are also quite good and less expensive, I have their ER-40 set in imperial, link below is for their ER25.

Make sure you get a wrench for whatever chuck you get, they are different between brands and sizes/nuts.

That Ebay one looks a lot like the The Little machine shop one that I found. I don't know if I believe that spec though? But, they seem to show more of specs than most of the Chinese Ebay stuff listed. I have the Emco collect set, made in Switzerland which I believe are SCHAUBLIN made for EMCO so quality there.

They all look pretty close. That said, I bought a cheap eBay Er32 with R8 arbor for my mill. It is junk. Pure garbage. I can see it wobble.
I wanted Shars because they are always a cut above in my experience. But they were out of stock at the time. I then got a set off of Amazon and it’s much much better.

did find a chuck on MSC from Iscar

Iscar makes high quality stuff but not cheap.

Unfortunately not many of the high quality name brands make ER chucks other than for CAT, BT/NT/ISO, etc tapers. Many don't even offer them for R8 let alone Morse Taper.

I have an ER-16 chuck w/ slim nut by Glacern in R8 & I'm pretty happy with it, made in Taiwan. Glacern doesn't offer ER chucks in MT though. I also have a Lyndex ER-16 straight shank chuck & it's pretty nice, made in Japan, but not sure if they come in MT though. I have 2 ER-40 R8 chucks by TMX/Bison, made in Poland, also happy with them.

But Bison does offer ER-25 chucks in MT2. Don't know if there is a US seller. Quick search below. I got one of my Bison ER chucks from Ajax Tools in OH. That was yrs ago but maybe try giving Rocky a call to see if he carries it. I know he does still sell Bison products.

P/N 7711-2-25

Bison also sells collet chucks in sets with collets but according to their catalog they don't offer ER-25 MT2 in sets, only other ER & arbor sizes. I agree on going with Techniks collets, great quality collets for a decent price.

I have some Bison, Glacern, Maritool stuff in ER32/40 for the Deckel's CAT 40, and have been happy with their stuff. I agree that the MT2 is a bastard thing these days. I will see if Ajax tool can supply a MT2 Bison ER25 chuck. If that fails, MSC carry as mentioned Iscar and also ETM.

I would just get the ETM or Iscar if MSC has them in stock, unless price is an issue.

My understanding is that ETM and Iscar are made in the same factory in Israel. The ETM is more expensive though, for some reason.

ETM makes really accurate chucks. I own one in ER40 and can attest to the quality of their tools. Run out in the chuck's taper is in the neighborhood of about 0.0001-0.0002" so you get what you pay for.

My understanding is that ETM and Iscar are made in the same factory in Israel. The ETM is more expensive though, for some reason.

Maybe due to volume discounts since Iscar makes a more wider range of products that distributors would carry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a machining related tool from one of the well known brands in Isreal. Made in Isreal tools are not to be confused with made in India. Haha. Noga is made in Isreal also. But then again COO doesn't matter to me much anymore as long as the quality vs price is good.

I am going to look at the Iscar and see what the price is with my discounts. Just for fun, I looked at my 1988 EMCO price sheet, their ER-25 chuck was $105 and the 14 piece ER-25 collet set was $437.

Back