Recommendations for durable safety glasses

keeena

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've always been annoyed with the typical safety glasses (examples of some recent ones I've used are below). I'm fairly careful with them but inevitably they end up getting scratched up in short order. Maybe dramatic, but once I get a couple scratches or haze it bugs the crap outta me. I don't wear prescriptions. This would be for in the shop; I don't need tinted lenses.

Are there more durable options out there? My only guess was to go with a proper frame which can take decent lenses? Or is "buy $5 glasses and throw them out every few weeks" the only answer?

3MGlasses.jpg 3MGlasses2.jpg

If you buy the good stuff like 3M or Uvex, made for real industrial work, they come with antifog, scratch resistant coating and even cheater magnifiers if needed. You can throw away five cheap pairs, which might be great like changing nitrile gloves when one pair gets dirty, or spend a little more and get the stuff that you'd want to be wearing when you're wiping sweat off of your brow at the controls of something expensive and don't want scratchy smudges in your vision.

@pontiac428 - do you have any examples of the 3M models you're talking about? I've been using various 3M glasses (the couple examples in my post are 3M glasses, ~$10-25) and haven't been happy with them.

@pontiac428 - do you have any examples of the 3M models you're talking about? I've been using various 3M glasses (the couple examples in my post are 3M glasses, ~$10-25) and haven't been happy with them.
Here are 27 pairs of 3M glasses with antifog and antiscratch lenses:

That's what they buy for the guys who spend all day running 8" angle grinders over their heads in the dry docks in all weather where I work.

The few 3M models I've used are in that list - can confirm that they are not anti-scratch even though they claim to be. :grin:

Nor anti-fog. Ever use glasses with a dust mask? Grrrr. May just be more of an issue in the Northeast during cooler months, but that's a topic for another thread.

Are you in the shop, or in the field? Depending on the work task, there are other options. The dust mask and glasses can be swapped for a 3M versaflo PAPR, those never fog. Best in the most extreme environments, available on the gray market for shop guy prices. For safety glasses in the worst cold, I pull up a hoodie hood like an eskimo so the lenses warm up and don't fog. Usually just adjusting to the temperature outside is enough for cold. In the steam tunnels, once the glasses warm up to ambient, the fog goes away. Masks definitely make it worse. I guess nothing is truly fog-PROOF, but I'm surprised the coatings didn't help. The steamfitters and shipwrights seem to like them at my office.

I've always been annoyed with the typical safety glasses (examples of some recent ones I've used are below). I'm fairly careful with them but inevitably they end up getting scratched up in short order. Maybe dramatic, but once I get a couple scratches or haze it bugs the crap outta me. I don't wear prescriptions. This would be for in the shop; I don't need tinted lenses.

Are there more durable options out there? My only guess was to go with a proper frame which can take decent lenses? Or is "buy $5 glasses and throw them out every few weeks" the only answer?

View attachment 432347 View attachment 432348

I use safety readers and like the Pyramex that I've got off Amazon: they hold up well and unless I've abused them they don't fall apart.

My regular use, full-lens readers:
Pyramex Full Lens.png

Grinding/Sanding (dust seal), with bifocal:
Pyramex Dust.png
These come with the headband attached, but include regular earpieces as well. However, I find that I like the headband as it keeps the glasses snuggly in place so the seal keeps the dust out.

If you need prescription safety glasses, I just ordered a pair from Zenni optical. Very nice, less than $100 (no-line bifocals) delivered.

I use safety readers and like the Pyramex that I've got off Amazon: they hold up well and unless I've abused them they don't fall apart.

My regular use, full-lens readers:

Grinding/Sanding (dust seal), with bifocal:
These come with the headband attached, but include regular earpieces as well. However, I find that I like the headband as it keeps the glasses snuggly in place so the seal keeps the dust out.
Thanks Chazz! I use full-lens readers in the shop, but the Elvex that I've been buying have flimsy frames that don't last long.

GsT

Are the lenses in prescription glasses much better at scratch resistance than typical safety glasses?

Back