[How do I?] Remove Stripped Screw

Sometimes it helps to use a left hand drill bit. I have a set just for doing things like this. Sometimes they will screw the screw right out.

I agree with Jim. Left handed drills is a must have item in the shop.

Try the LH drill. If that doesn't spin it out you can try an old hex wrench and grind a taper on the end to fit into the hole. Tap it in firmly and turn the screw out. There are many other kinds of easy outs but few are cheaper.

If the guy who owned the chuck was willing to put the wrong screw in there, he might have also been willing to put thread locker on it. Try heating it with a soldering iron tip for a minute or so before drilling it with the LH drill - might just spin right out.

If the hole is a through hole I drill from the other end with a regular drill. Have had many drills grab the screw when drilling and screw it out the other end. If a blind hole the best thing is a left hand drill and ez-out when needed.

If you slice the screw the collar should come right off. Then you can work on the collar in the mill vice easily if you want to salvage it.

Don't spend $30.00 for a new collar. Make your own out of aluminum. I bought a used chuck with a screwed up collar once and made this aluminum one and it is much more comfortable to use and my favorite albrecht chuck collar... just need to make more of them now.
That's a 1/2" chuck on my drill press. The underside is machined at a taper so the chuck body has clearance. Has a much nicer feel with the approx 4 x wider grip.
CIMG2345.JPG

Slicing off the screw is a gamble. If the cut off wheel slips or hits the chuck, it will get marred.
The screw is too close to the body.
Q: If I use a left hand reverse drill, do I run the Bridgeport mill spindle in reverse? Spinning counter clockwise?
Do I use oil? For a small drill bit, 5/64" - 1/8" what would be a good speed to run them in, RPM? If it doesn't screw out, I will have to drill through. The collar is most likely "munged", jamming the wrong screw in the collar probably ruined the threads. Buying a new collar will be less expensive than buying more drills, ez outs, taps,screws, etc...
Plus all the extra time, of which I don't have a lot of extra.

Also, there is a 1/2" straight shank arbor, JT2 in this 13mm Albrecht chuck. It doesn't have enough shoulder to use the #2 Jacobs wedges, so I will have to somehow remove that too!

Thank you all.
Thanks Mikey, you're very knowledgeable about all things Albrecht.

Q: If I use a left hand reverse drill, do I run the Bridgeport mill spindle in reverse? Spinning counter clockwise?

Yes

Do I use oil? For a small drill bit, 5/64" - 1/8" what would be a good speed to run them in, RPM? If it doesn't screw out, I will have to drill

Oil is good. 1500-2000 RPM. Normally screws are not all that hard, the most important thing is to get the drill started on center

It doesn't have enough shoulder to use the #2 Jacobs wedges, so I will have to somehow remove that too!

Hold the chuck in your hand and hit the arbor with a small hammer on the side. Yes, it will mar the surface a bit, but that's what files are made for.

Have you tried to just press the collar off as it is, maybe with a little heat.

OK, Problem solved. I protected the chuck with a paper clip and some brass shim and I was able to carefully use a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut it down to where I was able to use a small slot screwdriver to punch what was left of the screw and snap it off. The collar is toast, but I got it off.

I didn't want this collar anyway. I'll just get one on sale for $26.00.
Thanks to all. :)

Back