Removing a spindle from an atlas mill

Yeah, I think I'm going to be in the market for a new spindle. There's deep scoring where the set screw or something was spinning on the spindle while they weren't using a key to hold things in place. And some deep holes I can't explain. There's an arbor stuck in there as well that isn't shifting no matter what I try. The bearing seats on the spindle are pretty clean.

Head stock is cleaning up, need to strip the paint.

Attachments

• PXL_20201104_013803433.jpg
    PXL_20201104_013803433.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20201104_013850066.jpg
    PXL_20201104_013850066.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20201104_013823577.jpg
    PXL_20201104_013823577.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
The arbor driver should unscrew. It is a right-hand thread. After you unscrew it, inspect the Morse taper and the surfaces (registry) where the arbor mates with the spindle. If they are in decent condition and the spindle bearing surfaces are OK, you may not need a new one.

I had to replace a spindle on my MFC because the Morse taper and registry surfaces were messed up.

The arbor driver should unscrew. It is a right-hand thread. After you unscrew it, inspect the Morse taper and the surfaces (registry) where the arbor mates with the spindle. If they are in decent condition and the spindle bearing surfaces are OK, you may not need a new one.

The arbor driver is stuck on there pretty hard, and the hole to put a bar in & turn it is worn out. I may try drilling a new hole, but so far with kroil, pb blaster & heat it's not moving. I had an old lathe spindle with a spindle protector jammed on there so hard i couldn't get it off. I chucked up the spindle in a bigger lathe and cut it off, it fell off before I got to the point of damaging the thread. I could do the same thing, spindle is already pretty ugly anyway.

Hoo Boy that shaft is buggered up! I'd think if you could get a good used one at a good price you'd be further ahead.
Sounds like you already know what to do about the arbor driver...but I was thinking that if you found a new to you spindle then you could cut the shaft next to the driver and use your lathe to cut away the spindle down to the threads, leaving the driver for cleanup...

It's a thought..... LOL :cool:

The locking collar on the far left (back of the headstock) had 4 set screws in it, removed those at the beginning. The locking collar spins freely on the spindle.

I'll give everything a soak in PB Blaster a few times today. Already tried kroil. Then I'll try with a heatgun tomorrow.

Is to possible there is a setscrew on top of a setscrew??

Is to possible there is a setscrew on top of a setscrew??

No there was just the one in each hole, looks like a shop made collar though

Hoo Boy that shaft is buggered up! I'd think if you could get a good used one at a good price you'd be further ahead.
Sounds like you already know what to do about the arbor driver...but I was thinking that if you found a new to you spindle then you could cut the shaft next to the driver and use your lathe to cut away the spindle down to the threads, leaving the driver for cleanup...

Buggered up is the word, only thing I can think to do is fill the holes & scoring with weld and turn it down to size. where it's scored all around it's over 100thou smaller than the rest of the spindle. maybe that wouldn't affect the function of it if there's actually a key in there.

The driver is missing the driver pins, they look like they were ground off. The driver is probably the easier part to remake though. I'm going to make a 1" arbor anyway.

Yes, the driver is not a precision part. You could make one yourself or buy a shop-made part. The arbor is hardened and ground (I think) and beyond the capability of most hobbyists. I would sacrifice the arbor to try to save the spindle, just in the hope that the spindle could be cleaned up and used.

Edit: Sorry, I meant to say that the spindle was hardened and ground.

Last edited:
Yes, the driver is not a precision part. You could make one yourself or buy a shop-made part. The arbor is hardened and ground (I think) and beyond the capability of most hobbyists. I would sacrifice the arbor to try to save the spindle, just in the hope that the spindle could be cleaned up and used.

I have a toolpost grinder, so i may be able to grind one. it wouldn't be a great loss if it didn't turn out.

Back