Removing a spindle from an atlas mill

The locking collar on the far left (back of the headstock) had 4 set screws in it, removed those at the beginning. The locking collar spins freely on the spindle.

I'll give everything a soak in PB Blaster a few times today. Already tried kroil. Then I'll try with a heatgun tomorrow.

Well I got impatient and it came out with a 10lb hammer.

The bearings must have ceased, once the rear bearing moved 1/2" the whole thing dropped out.

The woodruff key as it turned out wasn't in there so not sure how they were running the thing. probably with the set screw cranked down hard, I literally twisted an Alan key into a spiral when I got it out.

The woodruff key as it turned out wasn't in there so not sure how they were running the thing. probably with the set screw cranked down hard,

Shame what some previous owners do to their machines. Well... as they say, "No place to go but up!" I see someone else posted the link to the manual, were you able to download it? It can be very helpful.

Shame what some previous owners do to their machines. Well... as they say, "No place to go but up!" I see someone else posted the link to the manual, were you able to download it? It can be very helpful.

I'd found the manual on vintagemachinery.org, it'll be helpful for sure.

Glad to hear it. Now about them pictures... ;) ;)

I would use Kroil, PB Blaster or ATF/Acetone rather than Evaporust and maybe a bit of heat from a heat gun. Patience is key, give it a few days, let it work, try again, repeat as necessary.
What he said.....I ended up doing the same process with a bearing but in the end, I wrapped it with wire and heated the wire. Shaft stayed cool and it worked...might be worth a try..

The screw in the bottom of the larger pulley groove is an oil plug, not a set screw. However, it will not hurt anything to remove it.

In your first photo it would appear that the bull gear is pulled up hard against the inside front of the head. If that is the case, slide the bull gear as far to the rear as it will go.

There should be two set screws in the bull gear. One is a #8-32. Do not touch that one. The other is a 1/4"-20 Allen type. Remove that one.

If the file that you downloaded from vintage machinery is Atlas Milling Machine Bulletin MMB-5 and it is legible enough to read, go to printed page 4 (should be file page 11). If it isn't, pay your $10 (good for a year), read the instructions on using Downloads in the sticky area at the top of this Forum, go to Downloads and download the file from there. It should be the first file in the A/C Mills folder. File name is Atlas Mill Bulletin MMB-5 MF--MHC Rev8-1.pdf .

As the right spindle cone comes out with the spindle, my best guess is that the left bearing cone is stuck on the spindle. However, the right bearing cone's outer dust cover also has to be driven out, so that might be part of it. I would strongly recommend using a hydraulic press to remove the spindle. Warming the left hand cone will help but to do that, you will first have to remove the left hand outer dust cover. The second choice would be a puller fabricated from 1/2"-16 Allthread, nuts and washers and appropriate diameter mechanical tubing and an end plate.

Glad to hear it. Now about them pictures... ;) ;)

Head stock is disassembled and taking a bath in a cleaner but will take a picture when i pull it out.

As the right spindle cone comes out with the spindle, my best guess is that the left bearing cone is stuck on the spindle. However, the right bearing cone's outer dust cover also has to be driven out, so that might be part of it. I would strongly recommend using a hydraulic press to remove the spindle. Warming the left hand cone will help but to do that, you will first have to remove the left hand outer dust cover. The second choice would be a puller fabricated from 1/2"-16 Allthread, nuts and washers and appropriate diameter mechanical tubing and an end plate.

I had all the screws out the 10lb hammer got it, but for sure out a hydraulic press would have been a better option for sure if I had access to one. The spindle is pretty chewed up from screws being over tightened and what looks almost like someone drilled into it?

Finding a replacement spindle should be fairly easy. All models of the Atlas Mill used the same one.

I have a spare actually. One of the atlases I disassembled was for parts, and the spindle was a part I didn't need. Been using the frame as an x-y table near a vise that holds a dremel :p

Back