Removing Height Adjustment Stud on Aloris Tool Holders

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all,

I just brought home a used Aloris QCTP and a nice pile of tool holders for it. A couple of the height adjustment studs/screws are pretty chewed up and one is bent so I'm planning to replace them with new factory parts ($15 each give or take).

Has anybody removed one of these studs before? The import holders use an allen head on the height studs, but not these. I haven't even tried messing with them yet, but figured I could double nut them and see if they'll turn out. Any idea if they used thread locker that would require heat?

Hi all,

I just brought home a used Aloris QCTP and a nice pile of tool holders for it. A couple of the height adjustment studs/screws are pretty chewed up and one is bent so I'm planning to replace them with new factory parts ($15 each give or take).

Has anybody removed one of these studs before? The import holders use an allen head on the height studs, but not these. I haven't even tried messing with them yet, but figured I could double nut them and see if they'll turn out. Any idea if they used thread locker that would require heat?
don't know, but double nut sounds like the trick. If not, I would use a stud puller.. you know the type that goes in your ratchet and fits in the hole, then you turn and the knurl grips the stud, since you won't be keeping the old studs for use. Or just a monkey wrench or vise grip.. whatever gets your stud off. ;)

don't know, but double nut sounds like the trick. If not, I would use a stud puller.. you know the type that goes in your ratchet and fits in the hole, then you turn and the knurl grips the stud, since you won't be keeping the old studs for use. Or just a monkey wrench or vise grip.. whatever gets your stud off. ;)
Good point...I don't have to be careful with them.

Yeah, they use mid grade loctite, I think
That would make sense. I figured they almost have to...I'll try without heat, but the torch is always near by :)

Can you lock the stud in the jaws of a bench vise and unscrew by turning the tool holder?
Too funny...I have a website about bench vises and never thought about that. Great idea!!

I think I have three that need to be replaced so I might try different methods on each one as an experiment and report back.

Back