Repair/Restore Logan 820 lathe

Well, I got my gears in today. The only one I’m waiting for is the 40T for the qcgb. The 16x32 gears are from a SB. All they need reduced in thickness and a larger bore. Plus they are new. Pictures below.

Also, how do I disassemble the spring loaded pin on the change levers? I looked at Greg’s 820 restoration. lots of info I need but I couldn’t find how to disassemble the lever. One pen is bent. I can possess straighten it. I have a picture of that also below.
Thanks!

37E0B1A1-7AB3-4284-BCC1-D44C7CEE8A19.jpeg

C4B4125B-5D3C-4954-B5B9-25FD501733D5.jpeg

21EFD8AF-AF14-415C-921D-64DF1329B892.jpeg

There is a pin that you need to remove from the handle to pull the shaft out of it. Wire brush the handle real well and you will see the pin. I don't recall if they used a taper pin. You should be able to tell by comparing dia. from side to side.

Got the pin out. still won’t come apart. Got it soaking in PB Blaster. I’ll try it again tomorrow. The fellow I got it from said that it had sat in the back of a auto repair shop for several years. The more I work on it the more I’m sure that it sat for a longtime. The grease is so hard that I have to use a pick to get it out. Definitely not rusted.

Got the pin out. still won’t come apart. Got it soaking in PB Blaster. I’ll try it again tomorrow. The fellow I got it from said that it had sat in the back of a auto repair shop for several years. The more I work on it the more I’m sure that it sat for a longtime. The grease is so hard that I have to use a pick to get it out. Definitely not rusted.
Seems like I have had to clamp the handle in a vise and knock the shaft out using a small punch. They get corroded.

Tried the small punch, no luck. Tried heating it but I only had a propane torch so that didn’t work. I figured, what the heck, I’ll try straightening it. I was able to fit a crescent wrench and little by little I was able to straighten it. It’s not perfect but pretty darn close. I’ll try it manually when I get the gear case back together.

Still working on my 820, trying to correct any problems as I go. It all is pretty minor except for the gear box. Most difficult part is cleaning up the gears and shafts. It’s so dry that it’s coming off in strings, like the protective coating on some new parts. I’ve got the new gears, except for one where I thought I was ordering a 40t gear but it was a 46. I should have cleaned my glasses. (I have a new or almost new 46t change gear for an SB9 if anyone would want to trade for a 40t 16dp).I have run into a problem. I don’t have the tools to face off the gears to the right width or or accurately bore the holes for the bushings. Can anyone recommend a machine shop in the Asheville NC area? I’m pretty sure a production type shop is out of the question. I posted some pictures below. Thanks for all the help and advice I’ve been getting.
Ken

79DCD755-A0D2-4D2C-A53C-091E34E0740B.jpeg

E2041606-5A0E-4E41-8969-B88B3D4E5823.jpeg

3C5E1A80-0B35-4E0E-AC3A-74BC636ED04A.jpeg

Wow! Another problem. Looks like I'm missing something. Gotta start looking.

Spindle nut.jpg

It probably had a collet closer on it at one time. When that was removed they took the special nut with it. The nut you need shouldn't be hard to find. I think logan still sells them.

I checked EBAY and there are none out there. I checked Logan and they do show it. Looks like I will give Scott a call.

Back