Repair/Restore Logan 820 lathe

Chuck is probably correct. The most common way to add a lever operated collet closer to most of the 6" to 12 or 14" US made lathes is to remove the bearing preload or end float adjusting nut and screw the closer onto the spindle, where it serves a dual function. It is unfortunately the exception rather than the rule for the owner to keep and know where to find the nut that he removed. Later when the lathe is being sold, someone offered a good deal for the owner or his heirs and bought just the closer. And of course the nut was nowhere to be found (if the seller even knew that it was supposed to be there).

Last edited:
Making slow but steady progress on my lathe. Got the apron cleaned and put back together. Replaced the bushings. The worst ones were the ones for longitudinal handle. It had two bushings that were 3/4” long, seems to be not enough support. I used a long bushing and made an opening to line up with the oil hole. I put grooves in to carry oil the length of the shaft. It feels very smooth. There are a couple of other problems. The cross feed screw has a small bend that seems to make the travel harder at one end. Hope to figure out how to straighten it. But one other problem, I have a piece and don’t know where it goes. I took pictures but can’t find that part. I really hope I don’t have to take the apron apart again. Hope someone can tell me what it is!

D8DD55EB-CB40-46A4-8BBB-8922DC43680D.jpeg

4358B8A8-3BEC-4694-B179-5F59C8D33838.jpeg

E9A89A2F-9AFA-4CBF-BCF9-001F4451E39A.jpeg

1F58F5E3-DD01-4F59-B2DA-D13C095287EC.jpeg

Not sure what those parts are: they don't look like anything on mine. Have you purchased or downloaded the parts diagrams
for your lathe yet? It's worth having them, and you can get them from Logan.

Parts from the clutch? Doesn't make sense because you seem to have it reassembled. Been a while since I've had an apron apart and my memory is terrible.

That’s it! Looked at the parts diagram for the apron and never thought to look at the other parts. DUH!

I agree with Rich that the two parts in your 3rd and 4th photos are LA-313 and 026. You should also have loose the rest of the parts along the line from LA-312 to 026, not including the banjo or change gear bracket. As you set up for different feeds or TPI's, you will have a variable number of that group of parts used. But I don't know enough about Logan's to guess where the bushing or sleeve with the hole in the side belongs (assuming that it is also still loose).

DSCF7427.jpg

NOW I remember. Sorry, should have last night but it was late and after a long day at work. Here's what that assembly looks like:
not shown in the parts diagram are the change gears bolted to LA-314, which is a bronze bush. The gear/bushing assembly rotates
around LA-313, which is bolted to the banjo. If I remember right, LA-232 is a washer that provides some space between the two
gears. If the gears have to be changed, the large nut in the center of the gear is removed. Notice that there is a keyway in LA-314
and it's associated key, LA-249. When I went through my lathe, some of those parts were missing, but Logan was able to supply
replacements.

Yes, the keys and keyways connect the two gears or gear and spacer at each location. If necessary for the ratios, this makes the two gears into a compound gear, which, except for using a different size gear at the screw gear location, is the only way to change the ratio between the spindle and the lead screw to achieve the desired feed or TPI. Note that unless two gears are being operated as a compound gear (input to one and output from the other), the ratio between the spindle gear and screw gear is the same regardless of what gears are in between. The only requirement on any of the other gears is that they physically fit. This is a fact that for most people is difficult to accept.

Back