Repairing led shop lights.

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have several of the Honeywell 4 foot led shop lights that I bought at Sams. One of them quit working so I replaced it with a new one. I saw a You Tube on repairing these lights by simply replacing the capacitor. My problem is getting to the capacitor without tearing up the fixture. Any help in disassembly of these light would sure put me on the road to repairing the thing. They are cheap enough to just buy a new one and as a matter of fact the last 2 I got with earnings I got from being a Sams Plus member. I just can't throw something away if it can be repaired for little or no money. TIA.

I have some of those that have failed also. I hate to throw them away also. Will have to look into it also. Thanks for the capacitor hint.

I have some of those that have failed also. I hate to throw them away also. Will have to look into it also. Thanks for the capacitor hint.
I have some fixtures that used to have ballast in them . I trashed the ballast and bought LED bulbs that require none of the ballast or even the capacitor. No telling how many old fixtures I have thrown away before I learned I could convert them to LED. If someone wants to give some away now I would gladly take a truck load of them to convert.

After watching some YouTube Vids, it appears that the problem can be a capacitor or bad individual LED's. I have one that one strip works and the other doesn't. probably bad LED(s).

I hear you. Imagine how many washer machines, microwaves, stoves get replaced every year just because a capacitor bulged on a circuit board. :mad:
Martin

I hear you. Imagine how many washer machines, microwaves, stoves get replaced every year just because a capacitor bulged on a circuit board. :mad:
Martin
Not in this household. Appliances get repaired. It is harder though, with dedicated LSI electronics and the lack of schematics. Anything that isn't repairable gets reduced to basic components and sorted out for recycling.

I also have been changing old florescent four footers over to LED. Never will install a florescent bulb again.

I had bad ends on several fixtures. A guy here told me they are called tombstones. They are really cheap on Amazon for a large pack. I now check this at rebuild time.

The other issue I HATE, some four foot LEDS have both power and neutral on one end. Others have one lead on each end. You get lots o' smoke when installing the wrong way. I am standardizing on power to each end.

Not in my household either.:encourage:
Take my refrigerator for example. It's probably 25 or more years old and the plastic inside is beginning to fall apart.
I certainly can afford a new one, however I hear horror stories about how new appliances do not continue
to function like the older ones do. Also, I have a spare refrigerator of the same vintage that will replace the present
one if and or when it ever fails.

Same here. Haven't bought a new appliance in almost 30yrs, and probably won't unless the wife has her heart set on something, but she's almost as frugal as me. Mike

Not in this household. Appliances get repaired. It is harder though, with dedicated LSI electronics and the lack of schematics. Anything that isn't repairable gets reduced to basic components and sorted out for recycling.
After my divorce (27 years ago ) I made a washing machine from parts from 2 junked machines that were given to me. I continued to repair my own machines until last year when it just became too hard for me to get down on the floor to work on them. I now just pay a local laundromat to do my laundry for me every week. But I still repair before replacing whenever I can. Its one of the easiest ways and also cheapest ways to beat China at their own game.

Back