Replacement motor recommendation

cpd62

Active User
Registered
My Walker turner 1936 Driver line Drill press motor just burned up. The bearing probably were toast. I need to replace the motor. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices (companies that is). It needs to be 1/3 or 1/2 hp, 1725 rpm and I prefer single phase. Any thoughts on what are today's good companies. I like vintage tools but nothing lasts forever and there are always unknowns when buying used. So I'd like to buy a new motor.
Any recommendations? Thanks, Christian

I'm willing to bet a local motor shop could press in a set of bearings for less than you would pay for a quality motor like the one you have.

I'm willing to bet a local motor shop could press in a set of bearings for less than you would pay for a quality motor like the one you have.

I've heard the bearings on these motors are an odd size. And I'm not 100% sure the bearings are the problem. Though they don't sound right. The question is how much "better" is the 1936 motor from an average new motor? I hear that claim often. Will I rreally notice the difference?

And do you have a recommendation for a good new motor? For me the time it takes to find a shop ,drop it off at the shop and pick it up has a monetary value as well. New and "mometarily expensive" may be equivalent Or more economical than "less expensive + time consuming".

But is the motor toasted or is it just making noises? Because if it is the ball bearings, and they can be replaced, that is completely different than if the brushes are gone, or if the rotor winding is shut.

Then we need to ask, is this an AC induction motor, or an universal AC? I don't know much about either (I am more of a stepper guy), but whether they can be fixed or not will depend on the motor topology. For example, a universal AC motor who has had depleted brushes can be easily fixed by changing the brushes. You should be able to find a replacement. If it is the rotor winding, you can also change all the copper wiring. Not a pleasant job, but I have seen a few individuals who prefer to revitalize an old motor than to get a new one and this is one of the things they do. Not saying this will be cheaper or better, just saying it can be done. I personally wouldn't do it, though...

If it is an induction AC motor, then I have no idea what it would take to fix it.

BTW, you will also need to know what kind of motor you have if you go with the "replacement for a new unit" route as it may be a capacitor start or a capacitor run. I think they are both different topologies and if you replace it you need to replace it the right way. You could also strip the whole electric segment and then install a completely new system in which case you can just add whatever is needed, regardless of what the old unit was. Now you can get fancy and add a BLDC or a PMSM with all sorts of nifty electronic controls. May be too much complexity, though. Just mentioning options.

In general, McMaster won't tell you the brand of anything they sell, but everything I have purchased from them is top-notch, and they ship faster than just about anyone. Take a look at the site and see if you can find a motor that will fit. You will probably want to measure at least the shaft diameter and the mounting foot for a match. If you want to find something a bit cheaper, you can probably find a decent Baldor or other brand name on Ebay for not too much.

As far as brand, well, I've never purchased a new motor. Never heard anybody say anything bad about Baldor though.

I agree the McMaster has quality stuff, and in my experience if they don't list it, they can get it. But prepare your wallet.

Grainger is probably the best resource for motors on the internet; their online search has more options than any I've ever seen.

I got the drill press pretty cheap and it's a nice heavy duty machine. It doesn't have a lot of speeds though. I think I'm going pimp it out and go with a variable speed drive. Looks like DC motors with variable speed controls might be the way to go. Thoughts?
Christian

Or 3phase with a VFD. You can get small 3 phase motors on Ebay pretty cheap, as lots of people pull them off and replace them with single phase.

does the motor have a nameplate?
if not you could measure the mount holes and i could identify and offer a replacement ac single or 3 phase motor.

lmk if i can help out

mike:))

HTML:
Mike, It's so old it doesn't have anystandard NEMA nomenclature. Walker turner listed a code on the motor XA with a 4417 frame. If I could get a 3 phase 1/2 hp and a VFD then that would suit me well. I'd need a little guidance wiring it.
Thanks,
Christian

Back