Replacement motor recommendation

Hi Christian,

if you could post a picture of the motor that may be helpful...
If you know the shaft size, and diameter of the motor that will also be helpful.
the Walker motor may not be made to NEMA specifications, but i'm willing to guess that another motor can be installed in it's place with little modification.

as always, i'm happy to assist anyway i can

Last edited:
Although Walker Turner used some odd bearings in their machines many of the motors were made by KC (Kingston-Conley) and have standard bearings. If it looks more or less like the picture below it is a KC motor.

If it's only the bearings and/or capacitor the motor is worth fixing. Send it 2 me!

Baldor and Leeson are decent quality motors. Check eBay, Surplus Center http://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp and Northern Tool. (On the Surplus Center motors make sure they are for "Continuous Duty" some of the motors they sell are intermittent duty, not something you want!

DSC_3601.JPG

The guy who sold me the machine for $200 bought back the motor for $80. Seems fair. I don't know if it's salvageable. If it is then good for him but I'd rather get a modern 3 phase with a VFD and step into the 21st century. It's nice to still have the stable well functioning cast iron machine. But a new motor with modern controls will be worth it. I just want to use the darn thing and be done with repairing it.

Hey CP,

I'll be willing to guess a 56 frame could easily be adapted to fit your needs
i'm very partial to Baldor Motors and install them 9 times out of 10 as replacement motors.
they are more expensive than the imports.
IMHO, they rarely fail without operator abuse. and when they do fail it is generally due to bearing failure.
i have on many occasion, simply changed faulty bearings and continued service for the motor in the order of years, in rough service.
another brand that does a decent job is Lesson, although not as robust as the Baldor, but still a good quality replacement option.
Graingers has many import replacement motors that are easier on the wallet as well.

May i also offer the suggestion of buying a used 3 phase motor , breaking it down and replacing the bearings yourself and putting it back into service

there are many options available, which road do you wish to travel?

Hey CP,

I'll be willing to guess a 56 frame could easily be adapted to fit your needs
i'm very partial to Baldor Motors and install them 9 times out of 10 as replacement motors.
they are more expensive than the imports.
IMHO, they rarely fail without operator abuse. and when they do fail it is generally due to bearing failure.
i have on many occasion, simply changed faulty bearings and continued service for the motor in the order of years, in rough service.
another brand that does a decent job is Lesson, although not as robust as the Baldor, but still a good quality replacement option.
Graingers has many import replacement motors that are easier on the wallet as well.

May i also offer the suggestion of buying a used 3 phase motor , breaking it down and replacing the bearings yourself and putting it back into service

there are many options available, which road do you wish to travel?

I ordered a new 3/4 hp baldor with a matching VFD yesterday. As long as the installation isn't too time consuming the extra cost will be offset by time saved and reliability gained. The baldor was only about $35 more than the cheaper Mexican imports. I liken a good motor to riding good strong wheels on a road or mountain bike. Makes all the difference.
Thanks.

I may need some advi e on hookup. For instance: is there special cable you'd recommend? Do the VFD's usually need an enclosure?

the vfd doesn't need an enclosure but people do use an enclosure to protect the unit from outside contaminants and bumps from stuff moving through the shop.

as far as the cabling, i would use a good quality 14/4 output cable and use a good quality 14/3 cable input.
shielded cables are only necessary if your have anomalies created by EMF.

You made a good choice, the Baldor will last for many years to come...

Back