Repowering a 1916 Southbend Lathe

so could somebody recommend a motor that would be more compatible with my machine? I don't need to overpower it.

1- 1/2 or 2 hp would be enough and cheaper than 3, but the SB belt drive is a limiting factor on how much power is actually delivered, I doubt that one could deliver more that 1 1/2 or 2 hp to the spindle through the flat belt.

I'm still in the overhaul process so I have no hands on experience, but my SB 16" has a 1&1/2 HP 3 phase motor. With the flatbelt drive, I think that is fine. The 2HP in my Shopfox 12", has taken on some decent tasks, and showed no signs of underpowering, I think it would be fine with a 1& 1/HP drive.

If looking for used, I would look fro a 1&1/2 to a 3 HP, what ever comes up and will fit. Maybe even a 1HP, if you get a good deal. If new, I would look for 1& 1/2 to 2 & 1/2 HP.

And doubtful that a likely Chinese motor really develops its rated horsepower; it would be interesting to see an import motor and a older USA motor "arm wrestle".

You might want to check out the Surplus Center. They have several available in the 1-3 hp range:

The one I put on my Seneca Falls Star #20 came from a local farm store.

It's 1.5 hp totally enclosed fan cooled 1750 rpm. It can be wired either 110 or 220. I must admit the prices have gone up considerably since I purchased mine. If I recall correctly I paid in the $120.00 range.

I had it wired 220 for many years. Recently I moved it to a new location and don't have a 220 outlet conveniently located. I was going to add another circuit, but as always happens life gets in the way. I have it "temporarily" switched over to 110 with the intent of changing it back when time allows. That could be a week or maybe months. Now that the weather has broken (72* yesterday) there's plenty to do outside. All machine shop projects are on hold unless we get some rain or snow.

If you don't mind used you might also want to check used equipment dealers. I bought a used 1.5 hp motor for my little horizontal lathe from a dealer for $50.00.

What is a "farm" motor?

and all of these single phase capacitor start motors can be reversed using my existing motor control right?

What is a "farm" motor?

and all of these single phase capacitor start motors can be reversed using my existing motor control right?

They're suitable for outdoor use. They can be left in the elements without fear of shorting out or deteriorating from exposure to rain, snow, heat, etc., etc. They generally have sealed shafts, weather resistant paint, and are Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled (TEFC). They're one step down from a "washdown rated" motor that can withstand high pressure washdown with caustics or detergents.

I'm not sure what controls you have, but they are reversible. If reversing is needed the most common way to accomplish it is by using a drum switch. They are not "instant reverse" motors. Meaning you cannot just throw the lever from forward to reverse. You have to let the motor wind down then put it in reverse. Most instant reverse motors have a mechanical brake to stop the motor or a capacitor to absorb the energy before reversing the direction

Last edited:
So.....
The Grizzly 2 HP motor comes with a schematic that I can not decipher.
it is a H5386 motor

the drum switch I purchased is a Dayton Maintained Reversing Steel Drum Switch, 2 Pole, NEMA Rating 1

Anyone have any experience with this?

Back