[Read!] Restoring a New Hand Plane to Accuracy

It's a deal then.:)
when i get it all done, i'll get in touch with you and arrange for shipment!

Sounds Good, I thought about a suitable project last night in bed. I believe I have just the thing! You will have to wait and see what I come up with...

Mike
You are truly a giving soul !!!!
ed

Thanks Ed, i'm glad you think so.
i do this stuff not only for my enjoyment, but for the enjoyment of others too.
if i can create/repair/inspire or help others make use of a piece of ailing equipment, i feel that i have contributed.
i figure there are enough "takers" in the world - i'll be one (amongst many others) that give.
i don't think i'll change that philosophy anytime soon.

thanks for your kind words, they do make me feel good!

I've probably got more than a couple dozen old planes you can practice on. :rolleyes:

Serious question though, why did the guy in the video start on the side instead of the bottom? Wouldn't it make more sense to start on the bottom then bring the sides in?

If you'd like one of them old planes flattened out, i'll do it for you.
Not Joking!!!! i'll do it.:D
email me at biaxscraper@yahoo(dot) com

I can't really say why he would start from the sides.
i'm of your mindset to start on the sole and work my way around.

Sounds Good, I thought about a suitable project last night in bed. I believe I have just the thing! You will have to wait and see what I come up with...

An element of mystery is always welcomed!!!:cool:

I had a great day of scraping on saturday. i had a new friend come to the house, a member of the forum Bob Korves.
A really good guy that wanted to see some scraping in action.
I was able to do him one better- he hand scraped and biax scraped with less than an hour of training.
You learn more by doing than reading in most cases.
He jumped in like a paratrooper!!!
Here's a picture of his hand scraping!
HF33%2B18.jpg

Nice work !
He was using a repurposed 18" file, turned scraper!!!!:D

Last edited:
How are you checking the sides square to the bottom? Do you have a granite angle plate for rubbing the sides?

I forgot I posted this on this site a couple years ago, for those that want a power scraper but can't afford a Biax: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/home-made-power-scraper.18945/

To check the sides for square on the surface plate,
i'm measuring with a test indicator, getting visual reference to a cylinder square, machinist square, and surface gauge. mapping the surface as things near completion.
the scraping process forces the scraper to constantly check the work for square.
flat is easy to get,
square is not by accident- it is worked at!

the visual from the cylinder square and the small machinist square are easily discernible indicators of square and plumb respectively.
now that i have scraped a small 3x3" milling knee, technically i suppose that i could also use it as a reference as well.

Excellent idea on the homemade scraper!!!!

Last edited:
i did some more scraping on the left side of the plane where Bob had left off.
he gave me an easy canvas to paint on as it were, the proof is in the rub-
this picture was taken 3 cycles Biax scraped
HF33%2B19.jpg

the OCD in me wants to keep working the plane to get rid of the extreme (.015") low spot.
to keep the legs symmetrical, i would need to remove a lot of the material from the other side of the plane.:confused:

i may try to split the difference ,
but i'm contemplating letting it exist, imperfect as it is-
or maybe as a reminder of what it came from.

Back