Retirement, it's here like a ton of bricks

Hate to say this but the time to plan for retirement is when you're in your 20's to 30's. By the time you're in your 50's you don't have a lot of time. The key to a comfortable retirement is no bills - no mortgage, car payment, etc. - and enough money coming in monthly to handle your daily needs plus a good sized cushion for emergencies. Then you can let your investment account grow (without touching it except for emergencies) over time as you enjoy life.

Congratulations! You'll enjoy it - best job ever!! I hit retirement 3 yrs ago at 60. Had bought some shop tools, mill & lathe, and a car to modify/restore for retirement. So, as it stands, out of the 3 years retired, we've only been home less than half. We stay 3-6 months somewhere until we're ready to return home. And the shop mostly just sits at present...

I'm saying retired, but my mind says UNEMPLOYED
Congrats Mike! It's here now. You can't stop it, so cease to worry, and make the most of it!

I am "supposed" to be retired, but I have not yet managed to tear myself away from the rat-race entirely. No mortgage, I don't owe anything, and I do not intend to be knocking myself out for some company until I have one foot in the grave. OK - I am messing with machinery in a modest way, and in various other ways, maybe "growing old disgracefully", but I hope to get used to it. :)

I think a lot of folks define themselves by what they've done
in their working lives, and when that ends abruptly, they question their value as productive people.
The above is fairly common in the folks I know as the time approaches. I am NOT one of them. I will retire within the year, at 61. I define myself by what I have done, period. Life as an employee, Husband, Father, Uncle, Nephew, Son, neighbor, friend, etc. I certainly appreciate what my life as an employee has done for my life as a retiree, but I do not correlate the two. I cannot wait, and my supervisors are scared. THAT is how it should be:grin:

I know how you feel. I retired May 1st. 2018. Weird because I have always had a job. Started mowing lawns at 13 years old to make money. Sometimes two or three jobs at a time. After awhile that urge to work fades as the pension checks hit your bank account and things just flow. Its nice having everyday Saturday. :)

Interesting thread, especially for those of us at the "almost there" point. I watched my dad retire at 62 and always assumed they would drag him out of work kicking and screaming at 70 something. He was so busy afterward he said he wondered how he ever had time to go to work. Another guy I know retired at 55, but got up every day and went to his shop, even if to just hang out (happy guy). I let work shape my life and dominate almost everything for 30 years. Took a lessor job 3 years ago, same company, so I could take care of wife's health issues. Kind of a retirement, but with a paycheck and I get to be the old guy they ask questions of and get it done when stuff hits the fan. Nearly drove me crazy for awhile, but I like being home, I've seen most of the globe, and I don't have to worry about 30 guys anymore. Getting to the point where a balance becomes when enough money offsets enough of this crap. Not being defined by my job has been a transition, glad I didn't have to do it over a weekend and appreciate your dilemma. I feel the most trepidation for those that get forced out instead of leaving on their own terms. Have always had interests and hobbies, doubt if I get bored - always a problem to solve. Or get some new problems to solve, Habitat is always looking for handy people. Those that were successful in retirement found something to do, those that weren't sat in a chair and died. Good luck, sounds like we have some successful people to emulate.

One thing I've done my whole life is to start a reasonably difficult project and learn as I go.
By not worrying about the basics untill you need them often means you progress and learn much more in a shorter space of time.

Back