Retiring and want to use my shop to help others.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Anyone know or currently does support worthy causes. I would like to use my woodworking and machining skills to help people.
What organizations should I contact? I figure I can help those that have lost limbs, blind, deaf, whatever. I'm hoping it would keep me busy, give me an opportunity to help where people could not afford the service, and allow me to learn new things.

So if you already do this, can you give me a list of who to contact? How do things work? Do they pay for material?

Thanks in advance.

We have an organization called The Tetra Society here that does that sort of thing — engineering and building specialty accessibility products and aids for people with challenges. Don’t know if they’re international or in your area but you could always look into it. I have in mind to do the same thing when I fully retire if I still find enough time.

-frank

Anyone know or currently does support worthy causes. I would like to use my woodworking and machining skills to help people.
What organizations should I contact? I figure I can help those that have lost limbs, blind, deaf, whatever. I'm hoping it would keep me busy, give me an opportunity to help where people could not afford the service, and allow me to learn new things.

So if you already do this, can you give me a list of who to contact? How do things work? Do they pay for material?

Thanks in advance.

That sounds like an excellent ambition.

The obvious organizations would be Goodwill, Salvation Army and similar. My reservation about that is how to contact the right person.
The most attractive idea, for me, is to contact Wounded Warrior Project, VFW and any other local veterans organizations.

Good luck and please keep us informed of your experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Contact a local Lions Club. I'll bet they would be happy to meet you.

We have an organization called The Tetra Society here that does that sort of thing — engineering and building specialty accessibility products and aids for people with challenges. Don’t know if they’re international or in your area but you could always look into it. I have in mind to do the same thing when I fully retire if I still find enough time.

-frank
I just contacted Tetra, we'll see if they can put me in touch with someone in the NE USA, or close region.
I'll also be contacting the Rotary, Lions, VFW, and Salvation Army; all good starting points.
Thanks, keep the suggestions coming.
It actually makes better sense to contact the smaller regional groups to see if I can keep it local initially as I work through the issues of how it works with them.

If there is a local university with an engineering school, I’ll bet they have good connections as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is a local university with an engineering school, I’ll bet they have good connections as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can investigate... I'm in farm country, so the nearest schools are 45 minutes away ..

good point. although, I am not sure if that would hit my desired target. but I can try.

Back