Reusing Cable Ties

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ever threaded a cable tie for some reason and then realized you made a mistake?

Today I thought I needed 4 long cable ties, but the ties I had were too short, so I connected two pairs. Then I decided to use something else for the job. I didn't want to waste those cable ties. They were the big foot-long jobs.

It turns out you can shove the point of a pick into the receiving end of the tie, push up the little flap that prevents the male end from backing out, and pull it out of the female end.

Bet I saved 79 cents there.

For many years, I have used zip ties for cabling. Particularly inside panels, where every time a wire is run, new straps are needed. Now that I'm retired, doing my own work, that half dollar saved is from running one wire. With small wires and bunches of them (24 or more) things get real expensive real fast. Yeah, I bought a salvage lot of several hundred 5 inch ties(1500?) a few years back. But every one used will be another to be bought again someday in the future.

My solution: Amazon carries a bundle, I think 50 pieces, of cable ties for computer cables. Just short strips of velcro with a slot in one end for making a semi-permanent closure. They work quite well, even when wrapped a few times, with the hook on one side and the loop on the other. I can wrap and unwrap to my little hearts content as I add or change routing. When it's (theoretically) all done things can get bundled with zip ties. I haven't needed to run lacing string since the late '60s.

Working with my brother running cable TV and phone cables on pole lines. I discovered a reusable cable tie that works a little different from zip ties. They can be opened and reclosed a few(?) times. But they are larger size and, to me, horrendously costly. I have a few, but don't use them for wiring jobs, reserved them for strapping hoses and the like where I need to get back in.

I've been "reusing" cable ties for years. I usually use a straight pin to open the clasp enough to undo the tie. Sometimes, you can even use the end of the tie to open its own clasp (if you have enough slack).

79 cents each? Where are you guys buying cable ties? Available in Various sizes, packs of 100 for $3 or less. I know, harbor freight, but I have used them for years with complete satisfaction....

For releasing those nylon cable ties, especially the small ones, you want a tapered narrow blade; I've
found a #11 scalpel blade in a #3 handle to be the ideal tool; it works on the smallest, and the
largest, of the ties. Try to find carbon steel blades, the stainless ones are... icky.

My old summer job at the medical supplies warehouse was a broadening experience.

The locking tab can be released, allowing the tie to be reused. The cheap ties use a plastic tab, really good ones use a piece of spring metal. The plastic tabs will pick the easiest, the metal tabs hold better for reuse. A Nr 11 blade works well, a pin or needle is a little better to me. The bottom line here is the time it takes to undo one. If there is only one, the time is not unreasonable. But when you get into dozens, it's just too easy to cut and replace. In a panel shop, zip ties are a stock item by the thousands. In my home shop, not so easy. That's why something that can be undone and redone in seconds.
I :applause: love velcro

I found this beaded removable tie at Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara
Not perfect but handy for some uses

Attachments

• IMG_20221017_071445515.jpg
    IMG_20221017_071445515.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 3
For many years, I have used zip ties for cabling. Particularly inside panels, where every time a wire is run, new straps are needed. Now that I'm retired, doing my own work, that half dollar saved is from running one wire. With small wires and bunches of them (24 or more) things get real expensive real fast. Yeah, I bought a salvage lot of several hundred 5 inch ties(1500?) a few years back. But every one used will be another to be bought again someday in the future.

My solution: Amazon carries a bundle, I think 50 pieces, of cable ties for computer cables. Just short strips of velcro with a slot in one end for making a semi-permanent closure. They work quite well, even when wrapped a few times, with the hook on one side and the loop on the other. I can wrap and unwrap to my little hearts content as I add or change routing. When it's (theoretically) all done things can get bundled with zip ties. I haven't needed to run lacing string since the late '60s.

Working with my brother running cable TV and phone cables on pole lines. I discovered a reusable cable tie that works a little different from zip ties. They can be opened and reclosed a few(?) times. But they are larger size and, to me, horrendously costly. I have a few, but don't use them for wiring jobs, reserved them for strapping hoses and the like where I need to get back in.

I sure would like to learn how you did the lacing string.
I have run into many of the old panels with the wire laced up and I think it's sooo cool

79 cents each? Where are you guys buying cable ties? Available in Various sizes, packs of 100 for $3 or less. I know, harbor freight, but I have used them for years with complete satisfaction....

So I saved 12 cents. KA-CHING!!!!

Back