Reusing Cable Ties

Harbor Freight is where I get mine. I reuse them too although they don't seem to always work as well poking that tab to get them to release.
I also use them as a "temporary hold" on wiring a motorcycle and such. I don't pull those down tight, just to keep stuff undf control. Once I'm ready to make it permanent or just done fiddling I snip them off just behind the head and save those. They come in handy.

I'll second the Velcro cable wraps!
Tie wraps are great for a static environment or those bits that just need a tie wrap, but having to cut and redo every time there is a wiring change gets old. Also like spiral wrap for short runs.

I bought a 1000 pack of 7 inch, "no name" cable ties on amazon for a great price one time. I thought that they were cheaper due to the quantity. They were absolutely horrible and I ended up throwing most of them away. They just wouldn't hold tight and would slip with any sort of movement.

So, buyer beware on the cheapy ones. The velcro ties are handy for computer cables, adapter cables and the like.

I like Velcro ties for chainsaw handles. It's just about impossible to hold the throttle down when yanking the cord, and cable ties keep tightening up until you can't slip them over the trigger.

I sure would like to learn how you did the lacing string.
I have run into many of the old panels with the wire laced up and I think it's sooo cool

I like the velcro, though. Wired up an entire airplane with them. Run them around a steel tube and through the slot, then just let them hang. As you run each wire by, pop the tip of the lace onto the loop locked onto the tube. Just enough to hold it. . . till you're done. Then pull it tight, locking the wire to the tube, with a felt "barrier" in between.

I sure would like to learn how you did the lacing string.
I have run into many of the old panels with the wire laced up and I think it's sooo cool
Lacing with twine is a slow, laborous process. My first ship was commissioned in the '40s (AGB-4, W-283) when wire insulation was often fabric over rubber. Cable bundles were "shelacced" to render them waterproof. A serious concern on a warship. Usually when one had to be opened, in areas deep in the ship, "zip ties" were used to reassemble the mess. On weatherdecks and "high security" areas, the bundles had to be relaced. Proper lacing requires access all around the bundle, however repairs can be done with "half hitches" in pairs and the loops spaced as appropriate to the job. It's really simple, just spaced out "cox-combing".

Running wires on my motorcycles was a different issue. Many older bikes had barely tolerable electrical systems (Lucas, et al) so I ended up redoing the cabling. "Spiro-Wrap" was a Godsend for that. In addition to confining the wires, breakouts were easy and the whole thing was semi-flexible. Worked nice for industrial panel doors as well, where regular access was required. The bundle would easily twist along its' length. I bought it in hundred foot coils for my bikes, still have some around. Available in several sizes, it is the optimum restraint for built up cables.

Wiring "looms" are fabric wraps in a tubular form. Mostly seen on automobile restorations, it is only practical where the entire cable can be passed through the loom. Good for undercarriage work where long spans are exposed to the environment. But breakouts require the loom be interrupted. Think of it as flexible conduit. . .

There is a similar copper braid, sort of like desoldering braid. But is is more for shielding than restraining cabling. It also is available in many sizes but is horrendously expensive unless it is specificaly needed. For short (<12") pieces, I usually just strip off a piece of co-ax. Mostly to avoid stocking something that is rarely used.

Had to laugh at the title - guilty!

I re-use my zip ties, but not the way you're talking about. When removing I snip them with side cutters right behind the head (assuming they have some usable length left). I don't do it to save money. I just figure its a simple way to recycle 'em. I end up having have a pretty sizable pile of perfectly good zip ties for shorter things.

Zip ties have one disadvantage. After you've pulled them tight snf wacked the end off with side cutters you have a sharp end sticking out that can tear your finger or any body part coming in contact with it. An old greybeard showed me to use a soldering iron to "blunt' that end.

Cut across the tie, blades on the sides cutting.

Or use a tie gun, it pulls then slices flush when tight.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back