Reviving a 15x30 Leblond

Well guys, The old leblond is under power and here is my first issue related update

Picked up a Ronk 7.5hp rotary phase converter and it's running perfect. The lathe seems to operate correctly, all except for the Spindle does not rotate. The motor/belt assembly does the rocking motion , and when in drive runs, but no rotation of the spindle. Any ideas?

With the headstock cover off, I can hear the oil gurgling, but no signs of the servo shift shifting gears. I can shift by hand, and get the spindle to rotate but not change gear

Welp, disregard the last post. Iv gotten everything working, hyd pump was running backward, swapped two wires and all works. Only issue, is the manual gear shift "F -E" lever. It appears this shaft is bent, as with the side panel cover off, the gear was wobbling so bad it would engage/disengage with with the large gear below it

Good that you are solving your own issues. Mine was hooked up backward at first also. Must be some kind of Murphy's law in play here :)

if getting that shaft straightened don't work, let us know.

Good that you are solving your own issues. Mine was hooked up backward at first also. Must be some kind of Murphy's law in play here :)

if getting that shaft straightened don't work, let us know.

Ya, previous owner had cut the wires off the terminals, which left simple wire color fossils, which I used but apparently one of us had the red/white wired differently. I accepted defeat when I fired up the $900 lathe for the first time and the spindle didn't want to work, I assumed there was an issue to begin with. But an sos call to my father, a machinist of 30yrs, pointed me into troubleshooting mode. Lifting the cover off the headstock, I found that the servo shift seemed not to be shifting, and the hydraulic pump was gurgling oil in the bottom on the headstock. I cracked the line going to the servo shift valve body, and cautiously ducked and covered with a rag while shifting into the "oscillation mode", found that no oil was being sent to the valve body... The pump appeared to be out the return, and in the supply... Backwards red/white... Ehh, happens

As far as the bent shaft... Ehh, that's a bummer, hoping to somehow find a replacement shaft. Originally had noticed that the two position "P-F" feed shift handle seemed to be inoperable , and wouldn't shift in/out of gear. With the headstock apart, and 20mins of staring, poking, and prying it appears the shifting gears are bound up on the splined section of the shaft, assuming due to the bent shaft. Due to the bent shaft, the machine does make gear growls , as the wobble of the gear on that shaft binds with the gear it drives. I would like to remove the shaft, to possibly make a repair, just stinks I will loose all carrage and cross slide feeds until replaced

The servo shift is cool, and my father truly impressed by it's 50yr old design. So, it works, mostly, onto the general maintenance, oils, filter, cleaning and fresh paint. Hopefully come up with someway to replace this shaft, as threading was a large portion of the reason for purchasing this machine

What is the proper terminology for this "P-E" , two position, threading feed, Shaft?

It appears to have no relationship with the "servoshift" aspect of the machine, can I assume manual shift machines of a broad year range would use the same shaft?

Appears to be called the "Feed Shaft" in leblonds manual. Quick searching has led me to eBay, where a couple as found for 13" regals, but no 15" regals yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190814-230447.png
    Screenshot_20190814-230447.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190814-230602.png
    Screenshot_20190814-230602.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20190814-230830.png
    Screenshot_20190814-230830.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 18
The manual calls it a feed rod page 11 part H in figure 8feed rod.JPGfigure 8.JPG

never done this before so may be wrong...

here's dropbox link with all my leblond manuals

My feed rod is actually in good shape, and works. The part I have issues with is a 1 foot long shaft, that is inside the Headstock, the "P-E" lever is supposed to slide a gear on this shaft (Feed Shaft). The short shaft in the bottom left of the "Headstock rollout photo", and is referred to as #6 in the 2nd photo. I cannot seem to post a video, or else I would share with you the extreme wobbling of this shaft

OH BOY That sounds like quite a job to tear down the headstock and replace.

Back