Rf 30 Spindle Pulley Lock Nut?

I don't have any access to a lathe, that would make this simple. If I had a real need to use the mill I could cut one side of the nut to open it up, but I'll just wait till I can get the right one. It gives me time to scrub the table down to bare metal, and take the vise apart for cleanup, oil, and grease.

I was thinking that when I took the one loose on my Grizzly, that it was left hand thread.

I'll have to check. I'm assuming we're speaking of the nut on top of the front sheave or pulley if you prefer. I'm 99% sure mine was left hand. That would be opposite the direction of rotation of the quill, so it would tend to tighten rather than loosen. Just like some cars used to have left hand lug nuts on one side and right hand on the other.

I'll have to check. I'm assuming we're speaking of the nut on top of the front sheave or pulley if you prefer. I'm 99% sure mine was left hand. That would be opposite the direction of rotation of the quill, so it would tend to tighten rather than loosen. Just like some cars used to have left hand lug nuts on one side and right hand on the other.

My spindle is right hand thread and rotation is reversible. Because it is reversible the spindle pulley is held on with two nuts.

Tom S

That would explain a lot. Mine, of course, only turns clockwise as viewed from the top. Hence the LH nut vs the jam nut.

I had expected mine to have a left hand thread, but it is right hand, one nut. The spindle rotation is reversible.

Seems to work OK, though, as it has never come loose in over 20 yrs.

Thegratenate - spindle lock nuts mailed today. You should have them by mid-week. Hope they work out for you.

Tom S

Thank you,
I will do my best to pay it forward to someone else I can help out in a similar way.
I appreciate your time effort and parts put towards getting my machine working.

Thank you,
I will do my best to pay it forward to someone else I can help out in a similar way.
I appreciate your time effort and parts put towards getting my machine working.

Glad to help out a fellow hobby machinist. I now have more room in my scrap box for ..... more scrap.

Tom S

Back