• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Rf 30 spline wrench

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Sylvainmom

Iron
Registered Member
I know there were many posts about this topic but, in order to give another option, here’s what I’ve done this morning. This is made out of a simple hexagonal 1-3/4 ‘’ bar and I use an adjustable wrench to hold this device.

Attachments

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Looks like a pretty good idea.

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
At first when I saw it, b4 I read your post, I thought you took a hex die, and ground it down inside. Good solution.

Sylvainmom

Iron
Registered Member
The hexagonal shape was basically used for indexing. As this is a 6 splines shaft, you dont have to bother with a dividing head. It doesn’t always have to be complicated!

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
What I like is it's nice and thick. I bought one of those homemade ones off eBay an it was maybe 1/8" thick and when I used it I think it left dings on the splines. I'd never felt the head hang up before during down feed, so I tossed it. Yours there is no way it's going ding the splines. Good job.

Cobra

Active User
Any reason that I should not be just putting the mill in L-1 to tighten and loosen the collet drawbar?

kvt

Active User
Good Idea, I may have to try that. I just got an Enco 30 that did not have a spline wrench. Now I have a project for it.

Sylvainmom

Iron
Registered Member
Most of the time, you wont have to use this tool since the draw bar is quite easy to unscrew but, since this is not a gear head machine, no matter the speed you've chosen the spindle will turn easily.

Cobra

Active User
Most of the time, you wont have to use this tool since the draw bar is quite easy to unscrew but, since this is not a gear head machine, no matter the speed you've chosen the spindle will turn easily.
Very correct. With the gears in the lowest setting, the spindle is difficult to turn.

Sylvainmom

Iron
Registered Member
With my belt driven rf 30, no matter the setting, the spindle turns easily

kvt

Active User
With my belt driven rf 30, no matter the setting, the spindle turns easily
if not to tight, I have grabbed the pulley or belt to hole it.
Ken

[6]
[5] [7]