Ridiculous Spill-Proof Cutting Oil Containers

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Having tired of the cat food cans with customized plastic lids, I started looking around the shop for inspiration. My eyes fell on this weird Tri-Clover coupling that I inherited from Fred. It was this large, multi-piece, threaded stainless steel assembly with multiple plastic seals inside. I've never seen one like it, but it was obviously quite expensive. Anyway, the flanged ends suggested just what I was looking for, so let the butchery begin. This job even gave me the opportunity to use my compound driver and my sole expanding mandrel. It also gave me the opportunity to practice my TIG, which I quite obviously needed.

20210313_124411.jpg

The shorter one will be dedicated to the mill. I realized how easily it slid around on the table and that it was heavy enough to hurt itself if it hit the floor, so I made a round tee-nut for it. It slides freely into the tee-slots and should prevent most mishaps.

20210314_115424.jpg

Talk about your overkill.

A friend makes cutting oil containers from screw top beer cans, he cuts off the top below the shoulder, inverts it and presses it into the lower part of the can and makes a turned plastic collar with shoulder that presses over the the two parts to protect and further retain the inverted top, he then glues a strong magnet in to the recessed bottom of the can, they stay put on machine tables very nicely. They work much more nicely that my previously used and many times spilled tuna cans.

A friend makes cutting oil containers from screw top beer cans, he cuts off the top below the shoulder, inverts it and presses it into the lower part of the can and makes a turned plastic collar with shoulder that presses over the the two parts to protect and further retain the inverted top, he then glues a strong magnet in to the recessed bottom of the can, they stay put on machine tables very nicely. They work much more nicely that my previously used and many times spilled tuna cans.
I thought you were going to say that he welds the inverted top into the body. Now THAT would be impressive.

I
I thought you were going to say that he welds the inverted top into the body. Now THAT would be impressive.
hear that there people who can weld aluminum foil, if so, it would be duck soup with that job.

@MrWhoopee
Those anti-tip containers are nice, but I especially like the T-nut idea. I'd not seen (or thought of) that before.
Chicken simple and effective. I like it.

@benmychree
Your friends type of anti-spill containers sound great too.
I'm going to do something similar.

Thanks for posting.

A few thousand years from now an archeologist will did up this can. Then come to the conclusion that this can held an oil that a priest by the name MrWhoopee anoints the sacred statue named Bridgeport.
Holy moly, did not expect to get this many likes. Look up "gold spirals found in Denmark". Maybe someone who's more savvy with the computer can post a picture of these spirals. It makes you laugh on the conclusions that these archeologists will come up with this stuff that are about 3,000 years old. Those gold spirals sure look like lathe swarf to me. I'd be more interested, if possible, for them to did up the lathe and see what that may have looked liked.

Back