Ridiculous Spill-Proof Cutting Oil Containers

I thought you were going to say that he welds the inverted top into the body. Now THAT would be impressive.
There are actually welders skilled enough to do things almost as thin as a beer can. Back in the 1980's our company was bringing a new production facility on line. I needed a special fitting made for a vacuum stuffing machine. I drew up a sketch and handed it to one of the construction welders to see if he thought it was something he could make. He said "I think so" and went off to see if he could find the materials.

Later that afternoon he came back with a completed assembly. It was made from 1/2" OD and 1/4" OD 316 stainless tube. The wall thickness on the 1/2" tube was .035", and the 1/4" was .028" . The thing was absolutely perfect. It looked like it had been made by a jeweler. I must say I was impressed to say the least.

Holy moly, did not expect to get this many likes. Look up "gold spirals found in Denmark". Maybe someone who's more savvy with the computer can post a picture of these spirals. It makes you laugh on the conclusions that these archeologists will come up with this stuff that are about 3,000 years old. Those gold spirals sure look like lathe swarf to me. I'd be more interested, if possible, for them to did up the lathe and see what that may have looked liked.
1615825873346.png

Yep, they were probably the swarf from turning the gold bowls that were previously found in the same field.

It's not like me to buy something I could make and I did make many 'spill resistant" cans but finally got tired of less than great results so I got some similar to these. Put a magnet in the bottom and should have done it long ago.
Aaron

My dad used to tell me about the guy who was his mentor in airplane building.

He did practice on welding beer cans. They might have been thicker back then though.

My dad used to tell me about the guy who was his mentor in airplane building.

He did practice on welding beer cans. They might have been thicker back then though.
They were steel, remember? In my memory, the first aluminum beer cans were the baby Coors. Had return value like soda bottles.

Yep,I remember finding steel beer cans. I also remember finding a six pack of those colt cans in the fridge. Being that they were little I figured they were for me. My parents found my at some point and brought me home. I was a very inebriated 6 years old at the time. Beer cans can definitely be welded. I can’t currently weld aluminum that thin but I’m blaming my machine for that and not my skill level. Hehe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were steel, remember? In my memory, the first aluminum beer cans were the baby Coors. Had return value like soda bottles.
Nope, steel beer cans we’re definitely before my time. My recollection was this was aluminum since it involved the cobalt blue welding lens my dad had but never used.

John

If you don't mind, technically they were 'tin cans'... they were about as stout as extra large tin cans nowadays.

Back