Ridiculous Spill-Proof Cutting Oil Containers

Having tired of the cat food cans with customized plastic lids, I started looking around the shop for inspiration. My eyes fell on this weird Tri-Clover coupling that I inherited from Fred. It was this large, multi-piece, threaded stainless steel assembly with multiple plastic seals inside. I've never seen one like it, but it was obviously quite expensive. Anyway, the flanged ends suggested just what I was looking for, so let the butchery begin. This job even gave me the opportunity to use my compound driver and my sole expanding mandrel. It also gave me the opportunity to practice my TIG, which I quite obviously needed.

View attachment 359228

The shorter one will be dedicated to the mill. I realized how easily it slid around on the table and that it was heavy enough to hurt itself if it hit the floor, so I made a round tee-nut for it. It slides freely into the tee-slots and should prevent most mishaps.

View attachment 359229

Talk about your overkill.
As mentioned it's more a work of art than a lowly utilitarian cutting oil container. Something that nice would be way out of place in my shop. In fact it looks fancy enough to be a pewter ink well for Thomas Jefferson's desk.

Here's my far less energetic version of a cutting oil container. The Latin name is canus discardus. In it's former life it was a 1 pint paint can. I bought a dozen of them from a local paint company for $.25 each. I don't even feel bad if I do an oops and crunch one or drop it on the floor and dent it.

Attachments

• IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 15
I got a 4 pack of the little plastic spillproof paint cups for 5$ on amazon.

But I'd rather have yours. That's pretty badass!

I got one of the Lakeshore Learning's no-spill paint cups that many people online said worked well. I put WD40 in it and made a nice tube to press into the middle to make it even more spill-proof. About 6 months went by and one day I noticed the bottom had bulged out and now I had a wobbly no-spill container. So apparently not all no-spill paint cups are not created equal.

Back