right hand tool holder or left handed tool holder

Imagine the guys who decided on the RH/LH convention. I bet there was so much confusion that someone said, "Look, this is going to be the way it is and you have to live with it. You can argue all you want but it won't change anything."

I just grab the tool that lets me cut in the direction I want to go - no confusion. :)

Imagine the guys who decided on the RH/LH convention. I bet there was so much confusion that someone said, "Look, this is going to be the way it is and you have to live with it. You can argue all you want but it won't change anything."

I just grab the tool that lets me cut in the direction I want to go - no confusion. :)

Perhaps those guys knew that in the future there would be tracer attachments & some CNC turning centers/lathes that cut on the backside. In those cases a LH tool would be spot on & cuts to the left. :D

Perhaps those guys knew that in the future there would be tracer attachments & some CNC turning centers/lathes that cut on the backside. In those cases a LH tool would be spot on & cuts to the left. :D

I tell my newbies " righty tighty , lefty loosey " ………………………..then throw 'em some left hand thread bolts and nuts . ;)

Hi ho , hi ho ……………….well you know the rest . Another 13 hrs to go and 3 days off .

How about turning the tool upside down and throwing her in reverse?

The first time I saw someone do this..... I thought to myself, "today I learned how to turn a LH cutter into a RH cutter". :D

20190817_155221-800x501.jpg

This confused me at first, too. What I use to keep it straight is that the tool direction is the same as the wind direction.
You know, North Wind, West Wind..... A north wind comes FROM the North. A right hand tool comes FROM the right.

Now, will someone please explain how this relates to boring tools?

How're you getting along with your newbies? I know teaching can be very rewarding, but also frustrating.

He's helping me with small stuff tonight as we have a small crew tonight . Built a pallet to hold another pallet ! :grin: Not sure as to why , but the other plant loves them . When he's ready , I hope he takes my shift and let me get back where I belong .

According to what I even posted I was wrong. It is right hand seems to be the common direction. I usually cut to the chuck which is to my left. That's why I assumed it was left handed. Depending on what you are trying to create will determine the direction.
This should make it clear as Mississippi mud.

Back