Rockwell 25-OX6

Willy,

The instructions for use of the threading dial given at the link Matt posted would seem to apply to your Rockwell, as you mentioned that your threading dial is numbered 1, 2, 3 & 4. However, the instructions were in error in one statement. There must have always been two schools of thought on how best to mark the threading dial to achieve the minimum number of cross-thread errors like you had. Some lathes (including Rockwell) apparently) have 4 numbered marks on the dial, 1 through 4. Some have four marks but only the 1st and 3rd are numbered 1 and 2. The rules for these dials are:

For even numbered threads, use any mark to start and any mark for subsequent passes. For odd numbered threads, use any numbered mark to start and any numbered mark to continue. For half threads, use the same mark for subsequent passes as you started with (some instructions just say use #1, period).

So with your 10 tpi, you should also be able to engage at 1 and 3. To prove it to yourself, after cutting the thread using 2 or 4 stop the motor, back the cutter out, and move the carriage until 1 or 3 lines up with the witness mark. Advance the cutter and you should find that it is in the thread.

The other day I was making some leveling feet for my buddy's chassis table. I engaged the half nut at one point on the number 1 instead of number 2 and cross threaded, destroying my part. So today I made this thing to practice threading and learn my machine. I figured out that if I engage at 2 and 4 I get my 3/4 10 thread perfect, so what are 1 and 3 threading and why are those numbers there?

Thanks, yea I got the threads figured out. But I'm looking at up grading machines. It means I need to sell this one, and i need to know the year? Anybody?

Unfortunately, Rockwell is another brand that does not appear in the Serial Number Reference Handbook. I bought a copy of it year before last, and the last two dozen times that someone asked the Age question, the machine brand in question was not included. If someone still sells Rockwell parts, you might try calling and asking them. Atlas put dates on their spindle bearings but no one has mentioned anything similar on the Rockwell machines.

Vintage Machinery.org has a serial number list by year. Just google it. I found out mine was made in 1957. Tim

Back