Rohm Spiro Chuck Repair

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone service these before? I'd like to rebuild an old I have specifically replacing the jaws.

The Spiro design looks very similar to the Albrecht. You probably unthread the hood using aluminum or wood clamps.
Mikey has a very nice step by step on refurbishing Albrechts, the Spiro may follow the same procedure.

Yes I think it probably is. I got it apart albeit probably not in the correct order.
I took off the ring/collar first. Then I spun off the bearing cap. Unscrewed the piece that screws in to jaw lead screw. At this point I punched out the shank. Wouldn't mind getting a morse taper for this.
Then off came the hood which was not easy, even with a strap wrench. Then the jaws. Cleaned it up and put it back together. The jaws are not in good shape. I got the burrs out and cleaned them lightly with a fine grit belt. I'll see if the run-out is any better. The hood was worn from the jaws too so that probably wont help.

The Rohm Spiro does indeed have bearing balls and you can disassemble it just like an Albrecht.
Make yourself two collar clamps, aluminum is best, bore them to match the OD of the hood and body.
See Mikeys Machinist Blog article.
See: https://www.roehm.biz/fileadmin/content/pdf/products/en/01_Drill_chucks_en_web.pdf

I don't know where you can get spare parts, so I would call or email Rohm. Hope this helps. Do a google search for more info on Rohm Spiro repair.

Thanks for the offer anyway Bob. It was very easy to take apart. The hood was the hardest part. I put it in a vise that has aluminum jaws so didn't mar it up. I did clamp down pretty hard though.
Thanks for the link Emilio. I emailed Rohm.

I did not find parts or factory instructions online. I did find a guy near me on eBay who is selling them brand new for $59.99. That seems a pretty good deal. Let us know if you find parts available from Rohm, Duane.

I did not find parts or factory instructions online. I did find a guy near me on eBay who is selling them brand new for $59.99. That seems a pretty good deal. Let us know if you find parts available from Rohm, Duane.

Is that 60 bucks for a Spiro or a Supra, Bob? If the former, then that is a smoking deal.

Looks to me you can buy a Rohm Spiro, top of the line, for $150-$200 depending on taper. That's more than half an Albrecht.
Something seems odd there.

Last edited:
Back