Rohm Spiro Chuck Repair

Mine is a 1-13 Spiro (1/2"), with a 3/4" straight shank, got it as a gift from H-M member bfd, a friend, a really GOOD friend! It did need some cleanup (gunk), but is barely used if at all.

Last edited:
Mine is a 1-13. 1/32"-1/2" straight 3/4" shank. Not sure what kind of taper.
EDIT: J6 if my measurements are correct.

Last edited:
Oops. Mine is also a 1-13. Edited. Mine has a JT33 taper, says so on the side of the chuck where the model number is.

.006" TIR is more than you would like. Probably the jaws that you said are not in good shape.

Here:
http://rohm-products.com/navigationsseiten/contact/
is the contact information for Rohm. Check with them and see if jaws (and other parts) are available. Let us know!

Yes. Too much.
I contacted them yesterday and got an email from Deutschland asking what country I was in.
I'll let you know.
By the way is there any way to check runout on a chuck that has a MT for the T.S.?
And thanks about the taper tip. Mine says on the chuck also, JAC. KON. Nr 6.

With a lathe there are many things that can confuse the test results. I think I would make a short accurate shaft with an accurately placed center hole, mount that in the chuck, and then mount the chuck between centers on the lathe, one center in the fabricated shaft, the other in the center at the end of the Morse taper. Then you can run a dial test indicator over all the parts of the entire setup while turning the chuck by hand against the centers and see where the issues are. The only new variable is the shaft in the chuck jaws, and it can be tested at the same time.
Edit: I am going to try that idea myself.

JAC. KON. Nr 6. German for Jacobs taper, JT6.
Many of the new Rohm chucks are now made in China. Not sure about the Spiro. (newest)
Rohm doesn't seem to make repair parts easily sourced like albrecht, so,. it may be cheaper to buy a new Spiro chuck.?
Saw one on Ebay, used, with a $700 asking price!
Rohm has a repair service listed on their website. You can email or call them for more info on parts availabilty.

China? I didn't know that.
Thanks.

Rohm, like so many other companies, are outsourcing to other countries.
The Spiro, which is one of their top line models, may still be made in Germany or some parts of it.
The vintage models were made in Germany.
Rohm has a Service and repair manual but is no longer available. I couldn't find it. If you email Rohm, they may send it to you.

Here's the response I got from ROhm if anyone is interested.
Duane,

Depending on exact model jaws may be available.

However, you have to be aware that jaws have to be re-grinded in assembly so original runout specification can be restored.

As this requires special equipment within our factory settings, your chuck will definitely have excessive runout with the new jaws installed.

It is certain that you will not be satisfied with such result, so here we extend 10% discount towards replacement of the chuck.

If you are interested to proceed either way, please provide chuck exact details as inscribed on the sleeve.

Thank you. We appreciate your business.

Best regards,

Back