RongFu RF-40 help

CaptainJack

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,
I took apart my RF-40 milling machine ten years ago and put it in storage until I finished our new house.
Well, the time is good for setting up the machine in my new shop. I've going through all the parts, cleaning, lubing and repainting.
The problem I have is the electrical connection inside the cover on the motor to the terminals there.
(It came wired for 220/240 and I did draw a map of the wiring when I took it apart, but that map is nowhere to be found)
The manual's wiring diagram is just short of useless for the motor hook-ups. The manual diagram is for the switch, not the motor.
The problem is there are six terminals in the motor electrical box that are labeled 1-6, the wires from/to the switch are color coded.
See attached photos.
The red, yellow and green wire are easy, two hots and a ground. The brown wire is apparently used for 120v, so that leaves me with the
black, white and blue wires to hook up to the terminals in the motor.
Does anyone have one of these machines and can snap a photo inside the cover on the motor to steer me in the right direction?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jack

Attachments

• motor (1).jpg
    motor (1).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 126
  • motor (2).jpg
    motor (2).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 115
Make and model of the motor would help to get your questions answered.

Need more pictures & info- the color codes are nearly useless since all mfgs. do it differently
Show some close ups of the motor terminal box, up close and personal
Are you certain the red and yellow are power? I see they don't have terminal lugs

If you are certain of the three wires that must go to the motor, there should be no continuity between them in the "off" position,
continuity between two in "forward" and continuity between two others in "reverse"- one wire being shared between forward and reverse.

Having that information will indicate how they connect at motor end- just need a multimeter that measures ohms or
a simple battery and light bulb tester
Let us know if you are unable to do that test or you are not sure how to proceed

PS: again, a closer shot of the motor terminal board as in post #1 would help, need a close up view
-Mark

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. It may take awhile but somebody on here will know how to wire the motor.

There's an error on the diagram above: for the 230v case the white wire should go to 4
The yellow is not used: from member Werdi
230Vwerdi.jpg

Last edited:
My 22 year old motor terminal block is wired different, almost opposite of the picture in that thread(and no blue or brown wires).
Figures they changed wiring some where along the years.

Need more pictures & info- the color codes are nearly useless since all mfgs. do it differently
Show some close ups of the motor terminal box, up close and personal
Are you certain the red and yellow are power? I see they don't have terminal lugs

If you are certain of the three wires that must go to the motor, there should be no continuity between them in the "off" position,
continuity between two in "forward" and continuity between two others in "reverse"- one wire being shared between forward and reverse.

Having that information will indicate how they connect at motor end- just need a multimeter that measures ohms or
a simple battery and light bulb tester
Let us know if you are unable to do that test or you are not sure how to proceed

PS: again, a closer shot of the motor terminal board as in post #1 would help, need a close up view
-Mark
Thanks Mark for some options to pursue. Yeah, looks like I'm going to have to break out the multi meter and play around. Guess it's going to be the hard way. I was so hoping someone had one of these older machines that a quick pic could provide answers.
Jack

Back