Rookie gun builder Sharps 45-70 too ambitious?

I really like and appreciate AlphaWolfs attitude. I think the same way. Nothing I mean Nothing is impossible if you really want to. While the other posters words have value and relevance Attitude and willingness win out. It seems that a lot of folks wanted to build a sharps, WHAT A STARTING POINT, on learning and sharing in a group setting. While I don't know a lot I am always willing to learn and most importantly SHARE.

Alpha, sorry to hear there is no one down your way to share in the exploration of your interests, but this is just as good a place as any to let your ideas fly, you'll just have to do your maching alone which wouldn't bother me in the least.

Life is a learning process

Mike8623;172381 on learning and sharing in a group setting. While I don't know a lot I am always willing to learn and most importantly SHARE. Alpha said:
Mike8623
Wonder if Cuzzin has done anything with his Sharps?

I am down to running low on ambition. Am building a Sharps now for black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches. But I am satisfied if I just make a bolt or spring in a days time. Yesterday I milled and filed the extractor slot into the receiver. After 15 weeks I'm about 3/4 done with the Sharps.

Damn shame I don't have a friend locally that I can pass on some of what I have learned. I told a friend/neighbor that I would give him an extra vertical mill that I have (full grown 2700lb Gorton vertical mill) if he would buy a lathe, then I found a great deal on a lathe for him, $500.00 for a very good 13 inch South Bend lathe. He declined. I bought the lathe for myself- my 8th lathe counting the 4 "projects" I have set back in far corners of the shop.....You got to go online to find folks who share your own interests but you miss out on the sharing stories face to face...At home you are on your own.

Mike8623
Wonder if Cuzzin has done anything with his Sharps?

I am down to running low on ambition. Am building a Sharps now for black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches. But I am satisfied if I just make a bolt or spring in a days time. Yesterday I milled and filed the extractor slot into the receiver. After 15 weeks I'm about 3/4 done with the Sharps.

Damn shame I don't have a friend locally that I can pass on some of what I have learned. I told a friend/neighbor that I would give him an extra vertical mill that I have (full grown 2700lb Gorton vertical mill) if he would buy a lathe, then I found a great deal on a lathe for him, $500.00 for a very good 13 inch South Bend lathe. He declined. I bought the lathe for myself- my 8th lathe counting the 4 "projects" I have set back in far corners of the shop.....You got to go online to find folks who share your own interests but you miss out on the sharing stories face to face...At home you are on your own.

Since the 45/70 is one of my favorite cartridges, I've been waiting anxiously on this one to start. Alphawolf, would you please post your build? 3/4 through in 15 weeks sounds like you're moving along at a good pace to me. I've got parts that have been laying on my workbench undisturbed for that long. Please show us your build.
Not having local FTF help and company to share your passion with does dampen the spirit a bit. But you've got a great global community to share with.

Alpha, as long as you have and keep your dream.....you'll be just fine. I do as you quite a bit. I've gathered up just about all the equipment and tools I need for a Full service gunsmith shop, all I'm lacking is a kiln and a lathe. I'll have those by next summer. I'm then going to open a full service hobby shop for neighbors, locals and friends. I have the knowledge and skill to do it all (except engraving, it just never seemed to take with me). I live in a very remote, small town in Montana, up in the mountains. All and I mean all of the critters come by once in awhile, I enjoy watching them. Most of the folks around here don't have enough money and are struggling. I am retired and have money to mostly do as I wish if I watch it. So I don't plan on making anything (money) just don't want to go in the hole. Mostly help folks out with their needs and dreams. I never miss a chance to learn something new especially when it comes to guns or any related subject. I've lots of projects I'm looking at. I plan to build a stock duplicator this summer and then a rifling machine next year. Bob Dunlap used to tell me anything is possible if you think about it long enough. There were several things Bob told me not ever to do on guns but it seems there was always an alternative. what Bob wanted you to do was think about the problem and then how to solve it. It works for me, you always come away with something learned, bad or good, it's how you use what you learned or didn't learn that counts, always building on your skill level.

ALWAYS SHARE WHAT YOU KNOW AND ENCOURAGE LEARNING AND THOUGHT.

The Sharps rifle is a beautiful design. I have a Shiloh Sharps myself. But, I think the Colt revolving rifle is one of the coolest designs ever made,if dangerous! I'd like to build one,and have even thought about buying an original to use as a study piece. But,even a junky one is big bucks. Then,I don't know if I could re sell it after making my own rifle.

If I DID make and shoot the revolving rifle,I'd only load the 1 cylinder I was shooting at a time. My gun would be made accurately,and would not spit lead. I haven't ever had a multiple fire,but the risk is too great. Plus,I don't think I could shoot very well in the correct position of using the trigger guard to rest the rifle on my hand.

George, You'll never know if you don't try, if you screw up a little or maybe a lot you'll know what not to do next time and always moving forward. There may be danger involved but try to manage it and keep learning, heck walking out your door in the morning could be dangerous depending on the right circumstances. try to think ahead sidestep the bad. What would this countrty be without folks pushing ahead and sometimes accomplishing what others though was impossible.

Danger is everywhere and safety is always the number one priority, but at some point in time you're going to have to poke your head out the door.

Please show us your build.
Not having local FTF help and company to share your passion with does dampen the spirit a bit. But you've got a great global community to share with.

Rick I enjoy watching other people build. Taking pictures and showing and explaining projects is additional work and I appreciate folks sharing all that with us. However as I explained, I am losing ambition and don't want to tie myself to updating another build thread...That and I rather just show finished pieces.. I'm just a hobbiest with plenty of tools, anybody else with sufficient tools can look at my completed projects and rightly figure that they themselves could be doing the same thing...Got to have a lot of time and plenty of tools and determination and then'ya can build anything. Metalsworking is a great hobby. Guns are some of the good projects a guy can get into.

The Highwall in .45-70 I built last year is a no compromise BPCR silhouette rifle, 'cept I am the shooter it would win some matches this year. The Sharps (Model 1877) I am building now will be .40-65 for the same shooting match.. I have another .45 barrel ordered..Dunno what I will do with it.. Thinking I'll build a model 1874 Sharps in .45-90 just because I can. Just need the ambition.:))

Mike,I know you don't know me. There is no doubt I could build the rifle. The only thing holding me back is chronic tiredness. I do not get REM sleep. Plus,I have several worn out joints and have had 14 surgeries. I am retired from a career as Master Toolmaker and Instrument maker from Colonial Williamsburg.

Here's a gun I did make from scratch for the president of Dow Chemicals.

This pistol was made using mostly hand tools since the parts are all contoured. The brass lion's mask was chiseled out with hammer and chisels I made. The brass butt was forged from a flat piece of brass.

This pistol is featured in the articles section under firearms(I think). A longer description is there should you want to read it.

brass pistol.jpg PICT0004.JPG PICT0003.JPG PICT0006.JPG

Here's a gun I did make from scratch for the president of Dow Chemicals.

This pistol was made using mostly hand tools since the parts are all contoured. The brass lion's mask was chiseled out with hammer and chisels I made. The brass butt was forged from a flat piece of brass.

George That one shows fine artistic ability that I don't have.. The wood and non-ornamental metalsworking would be very easy for me but that one is real pretty.. I cant begin to do pretty. I set my bar at purty , usually I can attain handsome....I been pushing tools for 40 years and I cow down to nobody when it comes to day to day tools use but I fail on plenty of the finer points. A man has got to know his limitations. Youre the man....Now get busy and show us a build of the Colt revolver rifle..:))

I didn't mean to hijack the thread,but I seem to have given the impression that I am a newbie and afraid to try things.

Back