Rookie gun builder Sharps 45-70 too ambitious?

Thank you,Mike. I have seen that in all your responses to me and others. I think I was giving the wrong impression,though. Wanted to clear it up. One other person mentioned "being afraid of life" (which I have deleted) because I gave safety concerns.

Last edited:
Mike8623
Wonder if Cuzzin has done anything with his Sharps?

I am down to running low on ambition. Am building a Sharps now for black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches. But I am satisfied if I just make a bolt or spring in a days time. Yesterday I milled and filed the extractor slot into the receiver. After 15 weeks I'm about 3/4 done with the Sharps.

Damn shame I don't have a friend locally that I can pass on some of what I have learned. I told a friend/neighbor that I would give him an extra vertical mill that I have (full grown 2700lb Gorton vertical mill) if he would buy a lathe, then I found a great deal on a lathe for him, $500.00 for a very good 13 inch South Bend lathe. He declined. I bought the lathe for myself- my 8th lathe counting the 4 "projects" I have set back in far corners of the shop.....You got to go online to find folks who share your own interests but you miss out on the sharing stories face to face...At home you are on your own.

Hey Alpha and Mike,

I got started, sidetracked ( Harley Davidson derby covers ) and started again but work seems
to keep getting in the way.

My work and hobby are almost the same so the wife gets tired of the hobby on the weekend.
I have managed to make most of the screws and a good bit of the action. However they all fit in
a nice sandwich bag with a little LPS 3 for rust prevention it the top drawer of my tool box.

I haven't started on the receiver yet. I have the 4340 to build it from but haven't made any chips yet.

When I get something worth showing it will be here!!

Maybe I just need a little motivation

Itt

Hey Alpha and Mike,

I got started, sidetracked

When I get something worth showing it will be here!!

Maybe I just need a little motivation

Itt

Cuzzin Build that Sharps and come join me down at the Benton gun club for black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches.. Its a hoot. 7 or 8 guys taking turns laying on their bellies shooting off crossed sticks at steel animal silhouettes out to 500 yards.. Black powder, cast bullets and iron sights, quite a challenge.

Alpha,

I guess if you build the gun, you gotta cast your own bullets?

Itt

Cuzzin Build that Sharps and come join me down at the Benton gun club for black powder cartridge rifle silhouette matches.. Its a hoot. 7 or 8 guys taking turns laying on their bellies shooting off crossed sticks at steel animal silhouettes out to 500 yards.. Black powder, cast bullets and iron sights, quite a challenge.

Alpha,

I guess if you build the gun, you gotta cast your own bullets?

Itt

Cuzzin You don't have to cast your own bullets. There are a few places/individuals who will sell appropriate cast bullets. The advantage to buying bullets is you can try a few different bullet lengths and shapes till you find the one that your rifle likes best and then you can buy that same mold for yourself...Otherwise you will be buying and trying multiple molds till you luck into the right one. Molds are about 65 dollars and up.............Reloading for and shooting black powder cartridges is a whole nuther hobby...................However the good thing is that the black powder is available from many sources whereas most smokeless powders are still out of stock everywhere.. That is my motivator to putter with the black powder guns now rather than some other projects I want to eventually work on.

Just kidding Alpha, I can't get time to gat back on the Sharps. I'd never find time to cast bullets
Itt

Talking about casting your own bullets, check out "Mountain Molds". You design your own. I do some Win. 1886 50-110 conversion work and I've got a couple of molds from these folks.

Talking about casting your own bullets, check out "Mountain Molds". You design your own. I do some Win. 1886 50-110 conversion work and I've got a couple of molds from these folks.

I will look for that Mike.. I have spent lot of time reading and looking at the Accurate molds website. Same thing, you tell them what you want and they'll make it for you.. They are well known with a great reputation. My problem , like a lot of folks, is that I don't know enough to design my own mold with any real certainty that it is exactly what I need.. Black powder rifles are mighty finicky.

Back