Rose Index Question

Nice. How do you use the story bar?
Thanks.

I don't use the story bar for anything functional. It's simply a visual aid in the event I need to compare index patterns before a build. It would be more practical for that purpose if it was larger, but I just used what I had readily available in my scrap pile. Someday I'll probably make one out of 1-1/2" or 2" stock.

A long lifetime ago, I helped out a building crew that was putting horizontal siding on a pole barn. They made a 'story-pole' about eight feet tall with marks (every 6" as I recall) that they transcribed onto all the exterior poles on the building. That was a lot faster than using a tape. I borrowed the term from that.

Regards

Nice job. I see having the 4 with the 8 and the 3 with the 6 looks more normal than what I did. I only made one plate so I put the six with the 8. Looks kinda funky like I made a mistake as only two sides of the 6 line up with the 8.

Nice job. I see having the 4 with the 8 and the 3 with the 6 looks more normal than what I did. I only made one plate so I put the six with the 8. Looks kinda funky like I made a mistake as only two sides of the 6 line up with the 8.
Thanks. Yours looks great and was a huge inspiration for making mine. I started out planning to make one exactly like yours, but then I figured I've got the scrap and the time, so let's play.

Actually, the 3 is with the 9, and the 6 is with the 12. I tried to pair them in such a way that the greater sided index was a multiple of the lesser. That seemed to pair up better if I made a 3-9, and a 6-12.

Regards

Revisiting this thread made me realize I never posted a pic of my index completed. Not a great pic but it's what I had and I didn't feel like taking another one

Attachments

• DSC_0309.JPG
    DSC_0309.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 21
Nice job, Ed.

What size did you make your center hole? Mine is a skosh over an inch, but it would be an easy matter to mill bigger if I necessary.

Regards

Nice job, Ed.

What size did you make your center hole? Mine is a skosh over an inch, but it would be an easy matter to mill bigger if I necessary.

Regards
2 inch center hole. I already had a set of 5c collet blocks that would do up to an inch. I wanted more capacity. That's why the set screws are so long. I was gonna get another set of shorter screws but they didn't get in the why so I, uh, didn't.
Ed P

Reactions: tjb
So it looks like you have enough of a lip on the 6-sided section to still place a square in front of the set screws. I'm assuming made yours out of 1" stock?

I actually have a pretty good selection of set screws, so it was not difficult to scavenge enough for two that would recess on each plate. With 1" stock, countersinking would not have been necessary.

Regards,

So it looks like you have enough of a lip on the 6-sided section to still place a square in front of the set screws. I'm assuming made yours out of 1" stock?

I actually have a pretty good selection of set screws, so it was not difficult to scavenge enough for two that would recess on each plate. With 1" stock, countersinking would not have been necessary.

Regards,
The set screws are exactly half into the octagon and half into the hex so I can get a square onto the lip of either one. I had to mill a half moon relief with a flat bottom so I could drill/tap the holes.

The set screws are exactly half into the octagon and half into the hex so I can get a square onto the lip of either one. I had to mill a half moon relief with a flat bottom so I could drill/tap the holes.
Oh, very nice! I see that, now. Great idea!

Back