Rotary table questions

this is the 8" RT I mentioned above was on Craigslist. got it this am. have to disassemble and fix the table locks. one the handle is broken, the other is broken completely off. might be able to get it out without disassembly, not sure. this has an oil tank with a glass oil level window.

this thing is a beast and must weigh over 60 lbs. It dwarfs my 4" vise. I think the vise could mount on top of it. wouldn't want to throw around anything heavier than this honestly.

RT.jpgRT2.jpg

looks good. It is waaaay lighter than my 10", and about the weight of my Vertex 8"

Nice buy.

she's a beauty. the locks should be an easy repair. change that oil out, it's the least you can do.. just to ensure that if there was any moisture trapped you get it out.

Did it come with a lifting belt for your back?

its new old, doesn't look like it was used much if at all. not sure how the locks got damaged, seller said he got it that way. he had a lot of machinery and tooling. but yeah, not a fan of the grease or oil in Chinese machinery.

RTs are pretty easy to disassemble and put back together. Worth it to make sure it is clean.
I did that to my Vertex 8" when I got it. But it was clean inside.
Looks like yours came with T slot keys, nice.

I watched a youtube of a Vertex disassembly and it was pretty basic. I will need to anyway as the part of one lock left will not unscrew. I think it must have a shoe on the inside to lock against the table and they will have to come out from the inside.

RT3.jpgRT5.jpg

My vice does overhang the back side of the table a little. I chose to mount my DRO scale on the back of the table so I could continue to use the X travel stops on the front edge of the table. The result is the vice over hang doesn't affect how far in I can move. It is really easy to extend the arm to reach further out on the work clamped in the vice & I gain that couple of inches before needing to extend by having the vice mounted to the center slot. I sometimes keep the rotary table mounted at the same time as the vice. When I do that I slide the vice down to more balance the weight of the two on the (49") table. When I've had the load on the table near the ends I've noticed a lot more drag on the X travel. Uneven wear, pry?
How many of you just leave the RT & vice mounted most of the time? I've got a cheap vice that I'll mount so I can hold long parts sticking out from the Kurt.
My phase 2 8" rotary table has a chuck on it so I have a 1/4 ton hoist above the mill to lift it up-works good and makes it easy to use the rotarytable. I usually leave the 6" vise in place so it is level and readyto go.
I use the vise a lot , the rotary table not as often.Most of the time it is a little difficult and takes some thinking to rigidly attach work to the rotary table-that's the reason bigger is better.

here are the broken parts. one just has the leverage rod broken off the handle. the other was snapped completely off. I had to drill and thread it and use the old large nut/bolt/washer stack puller method. it came out hard and the good one just pulled out by hand. these were held in by tiny dog point set screws that go in from the underside. they are eccentric cut on the inside end where they actuate some type of brake shoe against the table when they are turned. hope they sell these as I have no idea how to do the eccentric ends. newbeeee.

the oil tank seems to have never been filled. there is oil on the parts from assembly at the factory.
RT8.jpg

Back