Rotary table questions

funny thing. I had bought a few 12" round bars of steel. 1/2", 3/4" etc diameters. like 4 or 5 bars. hadn't used any until today. tried to make the shaft for the table lock out of the 1/2" pc. cut like putty. tried, several different turning tools, tried every freaking rpm speed, tried different feed rates. was freaking out as I haven't had a problem getting a reasonably decent finish before (not that I've cut all that much). was leaving ridges like a fine rasp.

after a long time and much trial and error I put several different pcs of steel and aluminum in the lathe and they all cut fine. it was the type of steel! had no idea. ended up using a 1/2" zinc plated bolt and it cut fine. anyone else run into this?

tried several carbides with different radius' and HSS. tried all the RPM's except back gears and tried varying feed rates. dunno.

Yup, mild steel often seems pretty unwilling to leave a good finish. Harder (or free machining) steels are much better. A file and some scotchbrite helps.

mild steel? too fast a feed rate? Too sharp a point on the insert?

• Try slowing down the feed rate, and upping the RPM.
  • use an insert with a bigger radius.
  • rough with what you got, and finish with a rounded HSS finishing tool.
good suggestions. need to get a finishing tool. I guess it would be pretty easy to grind one out of HSS

Last edited:
My solution for "to heavy for an old man" is a 1000 pound crane from Northern Tool ( no affiliation) supported by 2 ceiling joists. Ultimately I would like a 4 foot long swinging beam that would let me service 3 machines in my shop.
Have a good day
Ray

finally had time this afternoon to finish this up. kind of my 2nd project. made good use of bolts for this project. :)

a.jpg

table locks work great, everything working smoothly. filled the oil reservoir with light hydraulic oil. sanded the light rust on the table and gave it a couple of coats of wax.

Back