Routing Power To Lathe In Center Of Room

boostin53

Registered
Registered
Would it be a bad idea to run my new lathes power cord straight up from the lathe to the roof of my garage? I'm currently in process of running power from my breaker box to the new lathes location, which has to be just about dead center of my garage. I rather avoid running the cord across the floor if possible.

Best I can think of is to get conduit and anchor it to the ground and run it up to the attic with the power cord encased in it. Then finish running power from there to the breaker panel. What would you guys do?

Before anybody asks, no, I can't easily get the lathe closer to a wall. Half of my garage has benches that are secured to the wall and te other half has industrial shelves which are also secured to the wall. So I'm stuck putting this new lathe a good distance from a wall.

In the last place that I worked, we had the same problem. We ran drop cords down from the ceiling. The drop down height was set to be high enough that a person wouldn't bump into it but not so high as to make connecting to it a problem. You didn't say what your power requirements are but you should be able to accommodate your needs. There are a number of twist lock connection options to permit a secure connection. Here is an example. http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-plugs-and-receptacles/=11583hf

If the location is permanent, you could run a raceway down secured to a vertical post anchored at floor and ceiling.

I would put a 4x4 box above the lathe where you want to plug it in and install a twist lock plug there. Then run conduit over to the breaker panel. I would not run the cord in the conduit, but rather pull in the proper size wires from the breaker panel to the plug.

JimDawson's reply + 1, The advantage is no obstructions in the shop when the cord goes up just behind the lathe. A drip curve might be a good idea.
Have a good day
Ray

I would put a 4x4 box above the lathe where you want to plug it in and install a twist lock plug there. Then run conduit over to the breaker panel. I would not run the cord in the conduit, but rather pull in the proper size wires from the breaker panel to the plug.

I have the box and twist lock plugs already. The proper romex is already in the attic so no need for conduit. Just need to tie it into the breaker panel. So no conduit from the ground to the ceiling. Well in this case, I'm 90% finished with the wiring then. Haha

If the cord drop is an issue when not in use and money isn't an issue, you could throw in a retractable cord reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Boostin,

Thanks for asking! I am trying to rearrange my equipment and it might end up with my two 240 volt machines being back-to-back near the middle of the shop. I was considering a flexible metal conduit drop to a box just above head height with the drop well supported at the ceiling. However, since these big tools (mill and power hacksaw) are basically fixed maybe a vertical support between floor and ceiling is a better idea.

The only problem I see is if (when?) I need to move equipment again it becomes another job.......hmmmmm......I suppose I could also go with a ceiling mounted outlet box.

-brino

Drop cord will not be an issue when the lathe is not in use. Thinking about it, the cord will be pretty well protected actually. I recently made a metal stock rack and will be putting it behind the lathe.

"If the location is permanent, you could run a raceway down secured to a vertical post anchored at floor and ceiling."

I like that solution a lot.

Back