Routing Power To Lathe In Center Of Room

Ceiling drops shouldn't be a problem, they are even legal here in NYC that has much stricter code than most of the country.

I did the overhead thing, but took a slightly different route. My space is 20 x 30 feet, so I have a lot more empty center floor space. And the lathe could get moved at any time if a new machine showed up. So my shop arrangement is far from being firmly defined.

I already had a 7 ft power cord on the lathe. Then I made a 220V 4-prong extension cord about 20 ft long and strung that up overhead. The thinking was I might get a mill or welder requiring 220V in the future, and I definitely can't use them at the same time. Better for me to have one really good extension cord I can move around, rather than have to keep adding expensive breakers and outlets.

But the others have it right. The trick with overhead wiring is figuring out how to keep the weight of the vertical cable from cutting into the insulation of the delivery cable where it transitions from vertical to horizontal. That 15 pound dead weight will surely get you in trouble over time.

I built a frame of 2x4's and plywood to support the switchbox and convenience outlets, and the cable that runs from the switchbox to the lathe and on the other side, another one for the mill. My electrician ran conduit from the breaker box on a nearby wall across the ceiling and down to the outlets.

I wanted the switchboxes to isolate the machines from the grid when not in use, we have a lot of lightning storms here. Found out after I got them that local code required a magnetic restart device on each machine, so those are mounted there too.

powerstand.jpg

Yeah, but power rails and PDUs would sure be nice!⚡

Steve Shannon, P.E.

What was that about your PE?

Mine are hung with stainless cable from the ceiling to duplex boxes and outlets.

So far, it's better than the previous owner of the house who was an electrician

Back