Running a mill or lathe on a generator

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
My new shop will be generator powered. Is anyone else doing this? I would like to add a lathe and or mill
to one corner and power it from a generator. I have several generators, some gas and one diesel 220/120
unit. A new lathe would be nice since I routinely run old machines that are pretty well worn. Does anyone
have any recommendations regarding such a purchase? I'm thinking a full sized mill and a 14 inch diameter
turn lathe, maybe Taiwan manufacture. It would be 220v and single phase.

I think that the answer rests solely upon the generator manufacturer. For a purchase of that magnitude, I think I'd talk to them directly and not forums. That said, many generators aren't prepared to deal with the potentially large inrush current needed for such machinery, so you're going to have to oversize it, unless the mfg can say upfront that their units can handle it.

Machine tools start pretty easily (across the line starting, but unloaded motors). In your signature line you have some decent sized machines, are they all single phase too? If you are buying new, you can often specify single phase in the smaller size industrial machines (lathe around 14" and mill ~9x48 are pretty small) - anything larger will be progressively more difficult to get in single phase (and pointless to get in single phase).

As long as the generator will supply the starting current, then I don't see a problem. I have run machine tools on a generator.

The generator should be powerful enough for any continuous load, plus the starting current (usually 3-5X) of the largest motor, plus a 10-25% "finagle" factor. The last is to oversize the engine enough that it is never run at or near full load. I used a generator for my splicing gear and trailer way back when. 6.5 KW (120/240) continuous (Honda gasoline) with only the AC as a heavy start-up load. It still resides out in the barn, exercised every few months to keep the battery charged. I don't have an hour meter, but the somewhat oversized engine has paid off. A true Honda plant is recommended, a Briggs and other "lawnmower" engines are not. Diesel is so much more preferable but hard on the wallet. For long term continuous use, avoid the price saving, go with quality.

Most generators have 2 numbers on them Max continuous load and Max surge. The surge rating is what can be a short peak like starting a motor.
If you plant to keep the generator for a long time and use it a lot, try to have the load at not much more than 50% of the generators ratings. Do not forget to include the loads for lighting cooling heating, other tools like a tool post grinder air compressor, and anything else that may be running in the shop. There is a reason that many generators give a bunch of info at 50% load.

Diesel is best, the fuel does not go bad like gasoline does but is expensive. If you get an inverter type generator, make sure it is sine wave and not modified sine wave. in case you will be running electronics like a computer or CNC conversion.

Military generators are often both single and 3 phase with a variety of voltage outputs. They are well under-rated as far as wattage output. These can be often purchased cheaply as they are heavy, fuel thirsty and very loud.

I know a guy who runs a pair of these to supply power to a large boring machine that exceeds to power available to his shop.

If you end up with a 3 phase lathe, you could always add a VFD to change the 1 PH into 3PH. Most VFDs also have the ability to soft start to help reduce the startup surges.
A VFD will require a full sine wave generator output

Thank you all for your input. At present I am using mostly a Honda EU2000 inverter generator just for lights
or occasionally a table saw. It will run a table saw but one has to be careful not to bog it down. I also have
a Honda EM2500 which is not an inverter unit and it doesn't run the saw as well as the Honda EU2000.
Also in the generator department is a Miller Generweld 130 amp stick welder with 120 volt output. It runs a table saw
just fine but guzzles gasoline running at full 3600 rpm. Another generator I have is a Deutz F1L812 diesel
which is 120/240, an interesting unit. It is quite fuel efficient but very loud and also very heavy and vibrates a lot.
This is getting long, sorry. Also I picked up a HondaEM6500SX that is missing the fuel tank and starter rope.
It would be the best and most practical if I can get it into working condition and has electric start. So that is
where I am at presently with generators. The diesel has some fuel related issues as it is picking up air in
the intake line somewhere. It has a small filter right under the fuel tank which is quite restrictive. I'm thinking
that it is causing so much suction in the line that it is pulling air in through one of the fittings. None of the
fittings leak however so a little perplexing. Also in the fuel line is a larger "wool" type filter which has
a little screw on top that has to bled of air after the engine runs a while and then stalls. So, it's all good
fun working out the bugs. I may add a spin on diesel filter in the line and improve on the existing lines
to clear up that problem. It seems like if it is a diesel and it doesn't run, the problem is more than likely
fuel related. Congratulations to all of you who have read this far on my generator story.

Wow, that is quite an assortment of generators you have.

You did not mention what size generator is on the Deutz F1L812 engine. If it is big enough I would look further into that, it is old, parts may be an issue.
Whether the filter is too restrictive or not, air in the line is a leak, you need to find it.

I did find a thread on that engine that may help you.

I do have a low time 3500 W commercial Baldor gen that I would like to sell and get a smaller one that is either diesel or propane powered.

Back