Russian/Soviet Straight Edges?

Above a certain dollar value there are import duties. I believe the threshold is $800. Under that value there is no duty.

I believe many machinist tools from the USSR have been on the used market for many years. They aren’t all being shipped from Russia.

I bought a 30cm Russian knife-edge straight edge years ago that was a great buy. As straight as I can detect (no light gap at all on my surface plate), good hard blackened steel, cool old calibration sticker with a bunch of Cyrillic writing I can’t read.

Other Russian tools I’ve seen that others have purchased have been of similar quality. YMMV, of course. I imagine most of these tools on the used market are “found” items after the fall of the USSR, so Russian vs Ukrainian vs Moldavian etc. is probably academic.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what are you calling a straight edge?
There aren’t usually import duties to the US.
I'm far from an expert, but there are definitely import duties on some things. It varies with the country it's coming from, the item itself, value, etc...lots of variables. I've imported things before that I was able to look up the HTS code and was sure there was no import duties, but I can't find an exact match for the straight edges. Here's an example of one of the straight edge styles I was looking at...hopefully people don't rush out and buy them all :)

Here's an example of one of the straight edge styles I was looking at
At only 20cm (less than 8”) long, it seems like more of a parallel than a straight edge (that is: I’d buy a pair if I wanted one).

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t dead flat and parallel within a tenth, though.

$45 is about a quarter of the price of a new six inch Taft Pierce parallel from Suburban tool, fwiw.

At only 20cm (less than 8”) long, it seems like more of a parallel than a straight edge (that is: I’d buy a pair if I wanted one).

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t dead flat and parallel within a tenth, though.

$45 is about a quarter of the price of a new six inch Taft Pierce parallel from Suburban tool, fwiw.
For something that size two does make sense. Most of what I'm looking at is a bit larger....say 12-24" for now. There are quite a few different sellers and listings from fairly small stuff all the way up to fairly good sized camelback straight edges like this:

Soviet precision tools are quality. I've bought taper reamers in the past, and recently bought a chamber reamer and headspace gauge from Ukraine (during the war). All came straight to my mailbox in 10-14 days, no problem.

headspace gauge
OT:

Man. Haven’t heard that term in ages (I’m not a gunsmith).

I worked as a civilian technician for the Army Electronics Materiel Readiness Activity circa 1980 supporting the trailing edge of technology even then. The phrase “operator headspace and timing” was thrown around a lot whenever someone did something stupid and blamed the equipment. Later in my career I was a software guy and we used the moral equivalent of “PBKAC” (problem between keyboard and chair”).

Soviet precision tools are quality. I've bought taper reamers in the past, and recently bought a chamber reamer and headspace gauge from Ukraine (during the war). All came straight to my mailbox in 10-14 days, no problem.

This sort of positive information, in no way, helps my bank account! :grin:

Here's an example of one of the straight edge styles I was looking at...hopefully people don't rush out and buy them all :)
No worries here. 30 minutes ago, I’d never heard of it. But with this group, I can understand your concern. lol

Back