Russian/Soviet Straight Edges?

It seems cheap enough to take a risk.

I've never used a straight edge with a relieved area in the middle like that. Seems useful for setup work and inspection, but I don't think you can use it easily as a reference for bluing something up prior to scraping.

I'm curious how you are intending to use it?

It seems cheap enough to take a risk.

I've never used a straight edge with a relieved area in the middle like that. Seems useful for setup work and inspection, but I don't think you can use it easily as a reference for bluing something up prior to scraping.

I'm curious how you are intending to use it?
My first use planned is for setup. I'm going to be adding a taper attachment to one of my lathes and the instructions call for putting a straight edge across the ways and using a depth micrometer from a straight edge down to the taper slide bar. Measure at the front, measure at the rear and adjust as necessary to get the slide bar parallel to the ways. After it's locked in place drill and pin it.

I'm an absolute novice when it comes to Metrology, but I find the more I delve into it, the more I enjoy it. I'm eager to get the Russian straight edge on the surface plate...should be interesting!

I'm an absolute novice when it comes to Metrology, but I find the more I delve into it, the more I enjoy it.
Preach!

Me, too. I don’t know what I don’t know, but the subject is fascinating and a great respite from too much time on computers.

I bought a "strait edge" from one of those countries a couple of years ago, Ebay. Not great description. Came fairly quick. It turned out to be some sort of razor sharp cutting blade, I am guessing a huge wood planer. It took a bit of back and forth but I eventually got my money back and they did not want it returned.

I bought a "strait edge" from one of those countries a couple of years ago, Ebay. Not great description. Came fairly quick. It turned out to be some sort of razor sharp cutting blade, I am guessing a huge wood planer. It took a bit of back and forth but I eventually got my money back and they did not want it returned.
The razor edge is on purpose, but not for what you may be thinking.
It is a precision ground surface to visually reference for flatness against an unknown surface.
When light is applied to the back side of the straight edge, when in contact with the unknown surface, the perforating light will be an indication a low spot In reference to the straight edge.
They are great quick check devices, that don’t require a indicator

Back