Rust preventative?

Remove them as quickly as possible from the evaporust. The springs on the top of the legs can fall into pieces while in that solution. Something about hydrogen embrittlement. I don’t understand the process. I can verify the outcome. I lost two pair to that solution. Hope yours are still ok

I was going to post the same thing Nutfarmer . DO NOT leave calipers or feeler gage sets in Evaporust . They will come out in multiple pieces . I found this out years ago the hard way also .

Best rust preventer I have found is a way oversize dehumidifier. I have some very old raw steel stock that has no visible rust. I keep my dehumidifier set at 30%. I do not apply any kind of coating.

Having a penny thrown loosely in a drawer can’t possibly work.
It might help if it was in electrical contact with the tool, but I doubt it would do very much. Copper would actually tend to corrode iron, so the penny would be harmful until all the copper coating was gone. Magnesium would be much better.

Camphor in block form or wood work well and smells nice in your drawers. Indian grocery stores will have it. No clue what they use it for, but it's a good adjunt to some Starrett tool oil.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Thanks much fellas!
I left them in the evaporust overnight.
It didn't get them perfect but better than before.
Then I just shot them with some chain lube which is supposed to creep and stick.
It's what I had on the shelf.
These are oldies. Not shiney and nice but still suitable for every day use.

Attachments

• IMG_20230619_055055276.jpg
    IMG_20230619_055055276.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 16
ballistol
Of the thinner preservatives I tried, Ballistol was the best. I never tested how long protection lasted (difficult test) but assumed the thicker, waxier coatings would be better for long term storage.

GsT

Back