Rust preventative?

Thanks much fellas!
I left them in the evaporust overnight.
It didn't get them perfect but better than before.
Then I just shot them with some chain lube which is supposed to creep and stick.
It's what I had on the shelf.
These are oldies. Not shiney and nice but still suitable for every day use.
Do people still use these ? I have a bucket load but have never had the use for them . Ideas ?

Thanks much fellas!
I left them in the evaporust overnight.
It didn't get them perfect but better than before.
Then I just shot them with some chain lube which is supposed to creep and stick.
It's what I had on the shelf.
These are oldies. Not shiney and nice but still suitable for every day use.
After using EvapoRust I find it beneficial to hit the item with some light wire brushing or scuff pad. They will bright and shiny and as good as new. I did the very same on my calipers. Also, I think you need to leave the items in the EvapoRust solution a little longer or solution is getting used up and time for some new. You should not have any rust left on your items at all.

I use inside and outside calipers, dividers, and herms as much as I use 6" calipers while working. Ancient work habits are hard to break.

I use inside and outside calipers, dividers, and herms as much as I use 6" calipers while working. Ancient work habits are hard to break.
Woodwork on a lathe or metal related ? :grin:

Woodwork on a lathe or metal related ? :grin:
I can't speak on dead trees, but when roughing features like bores, tenons, and shoulders, they're good to get you close before changing to a direct measurement. Handwheel divisions work the same way, to get you close. Then instruments after that. Did I just become a dirt-floor hillbilly, Dave?

I should have shipped 20 your way ! :grin: I've never used them .

Of the thinner preservatives I tried, Ballistol was the best. I never tested how long protection lasted (difficult test) but assumed the thicker, waxier coatings would be better for long term storage.

GsT
a lot of my furniture is home made (professionally). the metal work is bare steel (sanded and buffed-not mill scale). been in service for 5 years or so with no rust issues. used ballistol

I should have shipped 20 your way ! :grin: I've never used them .

It's never too late to start! To start shipping them to me, I mean. It's way too late for you to start using such crude techniques now that you're on the glide slope!

They are
a lot of my furniture is home made (professionally). the metal work is bare steel (sanded and buffed-not mill scale). been in service for 5 years or so with no rust issues. used ballistol
It all depends on where you live. In my former shop, plastic rusted. My current shop, I really don't have to do anything at all and nothing rusts. Ballistol works great at times, but it's no match for Pacific Northwest weather and a shop that is never really sealed...

GsT

Back