Rust Protection - Boeshield or Fluid Film?

I think "Practical Machinist" posted a formula of 1/4 lanolin to 3/4 ISO 68 oil. Melt the lanolin and pour in the oil. I put mine in a hand sprayer. I want to put into a hand mister to cover more area. Sprayed my drill press and still looks good. Time and winter will tell if no rust reforms.
DBQ49er

Where I live is WET in winter and everything in my shed rusts. I use Lanolin actually Inox lanolin spray Lanox. I spray it into a tin with a rag and wipe down all my tools including micrometers and machines. No more rust issues. It's not expensive and a can lasts me about a year.

I wiped 1/2 a bit of steel bar the bit I didn't wipe had surface rust on it within a few weeks, the bit I did wipe is still clean 18 months later with ONE application.

Hmm, never considered using lanolin for stock. I generally wipe down stock with linseed oil once I get it home - works fine but lanolin would remove that attendant bit of fire hazard.

Was using some silicon spray while putting away some rifles after a cleaning, and it occurred to me that I haven't read of anyone suggesting silicon spray as a rust-prevention coating for machinery (though I certainly haven't gone through all of the posts on this forum dealing with rust).

Is there a reason for this? It can't be cost, when products like LPS-3 are considered viable.

I tried silicone spray first and didn't have much luck. Could be it just doesn't have body lanolin has?

Was using some silicon spray while putting away some rifles after a cleaning, and it occurred to me that I haven't read of anyone suggesting silicon spray as a rust-prevention coating for machinery (though I certainly haven't gone through all of the posts on this forum dealing with rust).
Silicone spray is a marginal rust preventative, more a lube than a protectant. I rarely use it on metals, usually on plastic for less friction.

Here it''s wet in summer. How Lanox stand up to sweaty hands? Like palm prints on mill beds, vices, and lathe chucks

Ken

Lanox is brilliant, no hand prints or rust on anything. My first mill had surface rust appearing within 3 weeks. Someone put me onto Lanolin and Lanox or any other lanolin based product will work.

Mixed up a batch of Bob's Red (only with 2 parts ATF instead of 1), put it in a Sure Shot mister.

Took a couple days but it did dry to a suitably non-sticky surface. The main downsides for now are a) the lanolin I got was a 4 oz container for cosmetics (huh) so I am out already, and b) roughly 1/2 oz of the lanolin solidified on contact with the other ingredients. It was maybe 35 F outside and I was mixing on the concrete floor of the basement, so probably I just have to be more aware of the environment next time.

Also, this gave me an excuse to buy one of those rather pricey aluminum misters that SureShot makes, as I don't think my steel SureShots are going to be empty anytime soon. I found it *very* difficult to stop misting things. Fun little sprayer, that.

Has anyone seen a cheaper grade of lanoline available besides the 'USP' version?
That's all I saw when I searched on eBay.
Just wondering. Pinching pennies here.

Back