Rust removal

fernballan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I thought trying to remove rust with vinegar and salt
My question is how strong must be vinegar and how much salt should you have

Ok, That is not one I have ever heard of before. I have always thought you had to keep salt away from steel as it caused rust, but I always willing to learn.
I will be watching this one.

Ok, That is not one I have ever heard of before. I have always thought you had to keep salt away from steel as it caused rust, but I always willing to learn.
I will be watching this one.
There are some videos on the tube that show that it works. Yes salt is not the first thing you think about

I know that salt and a cut lemon makes a GREAT copper cleaner- try it and see
Mark

No exact rule. I use pure vinegar and grab a big scoop of salt out of the water softener. It won't all dissolve, so you have a saturated salt solution of vinegar. Toss it out when it quits working.

My favorite is a 1:40-60 mix of Molasses & water with a bit of Citric Acid for extra bite. Not super fast but very effective. I sprung a leak when I dropped an old tractor axle as I was putting it in the 240 L wheelie bin I was using. That mix was over thirty years old and still working and I took it from the 55 Gal drum that had gone rusty on the outside. Put it on the garden which went into overdrive. Have to top up occasionally due to evaporation and add a bit more Molasses once or twice a year. Old spa pools are good for car doors, bonnets etc.
Cheapest method I know of and can leave items in indefinitely. Pays to degrease first.

Did the Molasses one once her and by the end of doing 2 batches of items for a Band saw, it had started to ferment in the Texas summer heat. I wander if the acidic nature of the Vinegar will etch the metal much. I may try it one of these days.

Yep, you get a bit of froth after a day or two. I just stir it up and it will eventually form a crust which helps with evaporation. I use a wheelie bin and suspend things by wire or cord tied off around handle. A brick on top keeps the lid down. Summer here and hitting 30*C,(86*F),evaporation is the only thing I check every few weeks. I have a series of photographs showing how effective it is on an old computer, if I get around to buying a data cable I'll post. For the cost and given how good the job it does I'll keep swearing by it. I also unseize old machinery with it.

My favorite is a 1:40-60 mix of Molasses & water with a bit of Citric Acid for extra bite. Not super fast but very effective. I sprung a leak when I dropped an old tractor axle as I was putting it in the 240 L wheelie bin I was using. That mix was over thirty years old and still working and I took it from the 55 Gal drum that had gone rusty on the outside. Put it on the garden which went into overdrive. Have to top up occasionally due to evaporation and add a bit more Molasses once or twice a year. Old spa pools are good for car doors, bonnets etc.
Cheapest method I know of and can leave items in indefinitely. Pays to degrease first.
I've heard about that method, but it does not smell bad and sticky?

Back