Rusty screws ??

i'll send you a really nice plastic one that wont rust you send me that old rusty thing
problem solved :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
steve

After cleaning off all the loose crud it appears that the steel parts have never been blued.
So I set about cleaning all the pitted parts, that did not need to work against another part, with wet / dry paper and the wire wheel.
Then i soaked them in the acid bath to remove the rust from the other critical areas.
The parts now have a smart mat gray finish, but i dont know how durable this is. If I continue with the hot blueing I assume I will have to remove the gray with the wire wheel, to re polish the parts so I get a good finish?

P1011712.JPG

The bronze frame had a few ferros rust marks where it had been in contact with rusty iron in the past, and these proved harder to remove than I first thought, so i have lost the nice patina , but that is likly to return fairly quickly in the marine enviroment. Its due to go for a dip in the ultrasonic bath later today, to get into the areas that my fingers cant.

And Steve I think I will pass on your kind offer..:p

Thanks to all for your help so far This is way out of my normal teritory.

regards Brian.

P1011712.JPG

First off I would like to say your flare gun is a thing of beauty I love old guns and have done many restorations.The use of a penetrating oil and heating and freezing of the part almost always work if not then the electrolysis tank gets it.May I suggest a rust blue over a chemical one.The rust spots will be converted into iron oxide and it may appear more natural as a antique that way and touch ups are a breeze!

Brian, you're doing great, really a nice old piece. You might try Brownells Oxpho-Blue for the steel parts. I've used it for years, the best cold blue I've ever tried. Gives a good color, and wears well. No, I'm not connected to Brownells. Hope this helps.:))

X2 with Oxpho-Blue.

For the moment the pistol has been reasembled and returned (well oiled) to the boat.

P1011727.JPG

This is only while I try to sort out my next move.
Thank you all for your good advice, I think I will be going to use Oxpho Blue for the job ,I was most impresed by the finish on Ron's shotgun, Lovely job Ron.

However as I live in Sicily, slap in the middle of the Med, I may have to import from the USA, We have gun shops in Sicily,
but the locals are good at fobbing you off with what they want to sell, rather than what you want. also my Italian may not be up to discusing technicalitys.

By the way the dip in the ultrasonic tank with water and washing up liquid worked wonders without afecting the patina.

To help fill in the masive gaps in my education.can somone tell me more about, Case hardening blue and Rust blue. As with everything, the more you know, you find out that you know less.

Brian.

P1011727.JPG

Back